Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about these amps? I have a line on a 1000 at what looks like a reasonable price, but its a discontinued series so I don't know how old it might be.

Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No opinions? Can anybody comment on how long an amp like this can be reasonably expected to last?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Long time ago I was planning to buy one (ended up buying a Samson instead); I'm sure that being a pro-amp it will last a long time (specially if you buy new).... if it's used, you need to find out if it was driven really hard.

Also, remember that you probably will need a box to connect the LFE signal from AVR to AMP, I recall reading that there's some mismatch between the signal output bteween AVR's and pro-amps :huh:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some more searching and found my answer. There were issues with this amp and the parts that failed were sometimes not repairable due to construction.

I guess I'll pass.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Every CE1000 and CE2000 amp I've run across has always given me problems....very not like a typical Crown at all.

I think you made a good choice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I hear the CE1k's and 2k's are not very good, but I hear the CE4k is completely different than them. I also have a CE4k and recommend them.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes. The 4000 is completely different. It is PFC and a much more advanced design. Word on the street is that the CE4000 was a precursor to the design that ended up being the bassis for the ITech's and the CE1000 and 2000 were precursor's to the lower end XTI's. I have 2 4K's and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. It looks like opinion on the 1000/2000 is pretty consistent.

I have been looking at used pro amps to see if I could find something with between 1000 and 1500w bridged 4Ohm for less than the EP1500/2000 new here in Canada. There is a place listing the EP1500 at $285. So far everything I have found is mid 300s and up.

Bringing an amp in from the US does not seem to be a viable option. That dotted line on the 49th is a real pain sometimes. :rant:

Am I right in assuming that the low end lines from Crown QSC and the like are very similar to the Behringer EP line in quality? It seems that they are all Chinese made.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What does "PFC" stand for?
Power Factor Correction.

Basically, it's a way of reducing the amount of imaginary power drawn from the input. If your power factor is 0, then you can be drawing a lot of power from the wall outlet, but not delivering anything to the speaker. If your power factor is 1, then all the power you draw from the wall 'can' be delivered to the speaker.

PFC really only matters when you start running into the limits of your wall outlet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We all heard the staying, "get what you paid for".
In rare cases it doesn't apply. Finding an 1500W
amp for under $300 that's reliable is gonna be a
slightly difficult find (great condition, used) unless
it's a local purchase.

And "no", just because you purchase lower priced
amplifier from Crown, QSC or Crest Audio doesn't
suggest loss of reliability. I would recommend that
you be sure that this is the power range you do
require--always sensible to have more than less.

Over the years we have purchased many PRO
amps from eBay and local shops--eBay deals
were always better. EP1500 looks pretty nice
for it's cost and the reviews of it bigger brother
makes it appealing. You already know your
spending limits, so work from there. Consider
that for $100 more you can purchase the 2500
or even an excellent used PRO amplifier.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts