Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have just finished building my home sub powered by the crown xls1500. I use a onkyo tx sr 805. I have heard many good things about this reciever and amp. My issue is that I am running a RCA from the reciever to the amp, sub wired to 8ohm bridged on amp. Getting little to no bass out of sub.. Volume has to be turned up to 65 on reciever to get the slightest bass from the sub. Not sure if I'm getting enough voltage to the amp from the reciever, if you have had this problem could u please help me.. Been waiting along time for this setup to be complete., any advice is appreciated..

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
On the amp just use channel one instead of bridged until you get it working.
Set the LPF to the highest value and let the AVR do all of the LFE management.
If there is a filter in the sub set it to the highest frequency available.
Make sure the AVR is setup so all speakers are set to small and all crossovers are set to 80Hz.
This should automatically enable the sub in the AVR but it is worth making sure the sub (LFE) is enabled.
It is best to use a SPL meter for this next step but if you don't have one you can do it by ear.
In the AVR set all speaker trim levels to zero including the subwoofer channel.
Use the AVR's built in noise generator and alternate playing the noise through the front speaker closest to the sub and the sub, set the volume control on the sub so the sound level matches the front main speaker at the primary listening position.
If you were using something like a subwoofer plate amp designed for this application I would expect the volume knob on that amp to be at 30% or less, with the pro amp you have the signal from the AVR may be much lower than the amp is designed to work with so I have no idea how high the volume on the Crown may need to be turned to.
Just start low and adjust as required.
If the sub output is still to low the AVR output voltage to the Crown may be to low, or there is something wrong with the sub or amp.
Another thought, if this is the first time a sub has been used with the AVR it is possible the subwoofer output is defective.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What is the level set to for the sub out in the receivers menu? Your probably going to need to raise that to about +8.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey guys I have just finished building my home sub powered by the crown xls1500. I use a onkyo tx sr 805. I have heard many good things about this reciever and amp. My issue is that I am running a RCA from the reciever to the amp, sub wired to 8ohm bridged on amp. Getting little to no bass out of sub.. Volume has to be turned up to 65 on reciever to get the slightest bass from the sub. Not sure if I'm getting enough voltage to the amp from the reciever, if you have had this problem could u please help me.. Been waiting along time for this setup to be complete., any advice is appreciated..
I have an Onkyo receiver (not your specific model) and have had different versions of the Crown XLS series amps (including the 1500). My Onkyo had no problem with voltage supply to the Crown.

On the Crown: make sure you have the amp set up in *bridge bypass mode*, you only have ch 1 rca connected and the gain on ch 2 is turned all the way down.

As others have mentioned; designate all speakers in the Onkyo to small with a 80hz crossover.

Let us know if this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts