Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Crown XLS1000 gain structure help

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've read through Wayne's thread on how to properly setup the gain structure when using pro amps and have some questions.

I'm using 2 XLS1000's connected to an Emotiva UMC 200 and have an noticeable hiss (easily 3-4 feet) through my 4 surrounds which is what's connected to these amps.

I don't have a multimeter to figure out what level my processor volume needs to be (step 7) before setting the gain levels (step 9).

Can anyone help me out with a starting point to use for my processor volume so I can essentially skip step 7? Or is the processor volume in step 7 going to be so different that it's specific to the individual case and not really interchangeable from setup to setup?

This is obviously my first time with pro amps and it's all a bit overwhelming right now. I'd like to keep these amps due to the price/output being fantastic but if I can't get the gain set properly and get rid of some of the hiss, I'm going to have to return them.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have a pair of X1000 for my rears and XLS1500's for my fronts but I don't hear any hiss. Did you run your receivers room correction? Check your receivers volume level. You can change those setting plus or minus DB which may correct the problem. Also setup the distance from your speakers. More than likely its an issue with your receiver. I use a Denon 4311CI and have no issue with the Crown amps connected via RCA.
Maybe ask the question on the Emotiva Forum as well. Im sure some of those members use external amps although most are fan boys and will suggest buying an emotive amp.
Are you using any of the dsp settings on your XLS? The low pass or high pass filters? How did you setup your XLS? stereo, mono, bypass, etc. What type of speakers are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.