Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for amps for DIY subs, i already have two Behringer EP2500's

i was originally looking at the Yamaha P5000S because the fans don't turn on for home use.

does anybody here know if the Xti amp fans run from the getgo (variable speed) or turn on only when the heat gets high?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Those tests don't mean anything really.... They are done using a constant sine wave which is brutal for most amps. In home use the amps will only ever see small bursts which it can handle fine. The only downside to the xti's is the 20hz high pass filter on them.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
im looking for amps for DIY subs, i already have two Behringer EP2500's

i was originally looking at the Yamaha P5000S because the fans don't turn on for home use.

does anybody here know if the Xti amp fans run from the getgo (variable speed) or turn on only when the heat gets high?
Why you want the fan's to run all the time??? :huh: ... most people change the fan to get rid of the noise because it will bother depending on where you have the amp :yes:

I've read that when you use pro-amps to power HT gear, they rarely turn on the fan because they never get to hot :yes:

I bought a Samson Servo 600 (I haven't use it a lot) but I 'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the case that most pro amps don't do to well in the low frq's. I run all Crown amps for my home theater and they are fantastic for all the main and surrounds but I use a buttkicker bka 10004a for my sub and that goes down to 5hz and is specifically desiegned for subs.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the case that most pro amps don't do to well in the low frq's. I run all Crown amps for my home theater and they are fantastic for all the main and surrounds but I use a buttkicker bka 10004a for my sub and that goes down to 5hz and is specifically desiegned for subs.
Somewhat, Amps designed to do "full range" don't nessisarally do well below 20Hz but this is not always the case. For example my Samson according to the written specifications has a 20-20,000Hz frequency response but according to the actual graph that is also in the manual it goes well below and above that without much of a drop.
Most subwoofers use digital plate amps like SVS so they are designed to go well below 10Hz.
I'm thinking that if you send a decent amp a tone signal of 10Hz it would do just fine.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...isn't it the case that most pro amps don't do to well in the low frq's. I run all Crown amps for my home theater and they are fantastic for all the main and surrounds but I use a buttkicker bka 10004a for my sub and that goes down to 5hz and is specifically desiegned for subs.
I think it will depend on the manufacturer too :yes:

If they're like in many AVR that what they disclose is not completely true or didn't test properly :yes:

I'm sure that pro-amps like Behringer, Crown, Samson, Yamaha, Nady, etc. will publish real information (and hopefully they will understate the power ratings/performance) but with some pro-amps that are not well know, there's a risk :yes:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Those tests don't mean anything really.... They are done using a constant sine wave which is brutal for most amps. In home use the amps will only ever see small bursts which it can handle fine. The only downside to the xti's is the 20hz high pass filter on them.
brutal or not, the behringer ep2500 seems to do perfectly well on the same tests.

so, it's best to spend the money on an amp that can withstand the brutality

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why you want the fan's to run all the time??? :huh: ... most people change the fan to get rid of the noise because it will bother depending on where you have the amp :yes:

I've read that when you use pro-amps to power HT gear, they rarely turn on the fan because they never get to hot :yes:

I bought a Samson Servo 600 (I haven't use it a lot) but I 'm happy with it.
that's the point, i DON'T want to have the fans run all the time. the behringers run all the time, i have two btw that i modded.

the yamahas don't run when not needed.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
that's the point, i DON'T want to have the fans run all the time. the behringers run all the time, i have two btw that i modded.

the yamahas don't run when not needed.
I'm new to this pro-amps arena (I have a Gemini that I rarely use at home but didn't pay attention to the fans) and I thought that the fan will work only when need it :scratchhead:

Can you hear the fan working when watching movies??? ... if not, you'll be fine :yes:

Unless you want to have an excuse for new toys :bigsmile:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it will depend on the manufacturer too :yes:

If they're like in many AVR that what they disclose is not completely true or didn't test properly :yes:

I'm sure that pro-amps like Behringer, Crown, Samson, Yamaha, Nady, etc. will publish real information (and hopefully they will understate the power ratings/performance) but with some pro-amps that are not well know, there's a risk :yes:
err, not really.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10689199#post10689199

that's the link to the chasw98 tests (he's a crown tech)

the behringer ep2500 is great, the ep1500 is soso.
the crown k2 is as per spec
the crown xti is not for subwoofer use unless you have 8 ohm subs

·
Registered
71 Posts
My crown fan is off and on all the time, even when there is no sound going through it. It is irritating... A fan mod is a must for pro amps imo.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm new to this pro-amps arena (I have a Gemini that I rarely use at home but didn't pay attention to the fans) and I thought that the fan will work only when need it :scratchhead:

Can you hear the fan working when watching movies??? ... if not, you'll be fine :yes:

Unless you want to have an excuse for new toys :bigsmile:
after the mod, no. but yeah, i want new toys that look better than the behringers.

the yamahas look way better :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
after the mod, no. but yeah, i want new toys that look better than the behringers.

the yamahas look way better :)
I knew it :bigsmile:

If you want something that blends nice with the rest of the equipment, take a look at Samson Servo series or Behringer A500 ... but I don't know if their output will be enough for you application :yes:

I got the Samson Servo 600 and I like how it looks (blue light in the front, and from time to time green lights) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I knew it :bigsmile:

If you want something that blends nice with the rest of the equipment, take a look at Samson Servo series or Behringer A500 ... but I don't know if their output will be enough for you application :yes:

I got the Samson Servo 600 and I like how it looks (blue light in the front, and from time to time green lights) :bigsmile:
i already have four Behringer A500's and two Behringer EP2500's. A Yamaha P2500S is on the way :)

it's just a question of ordering a second yamaha or not and what model yamaha.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Why is this?

89 watts at 20hz 4 ohms limited to .498% distortion is not very useful for subwoofers :)

as opposed to

633 watts at 20hz 4 ohms limited to .0153% distortion

the crown xti 1000 and behringer ep2500 should be abt the same price over here as the xti 2000 is 851USD over here while the Behringer is 446USD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts