Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Quick & dirty EMM-6 output impedance measurement using the voltage divider method, a signal generator and an imedpance-matching potentiometer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mic came today.

Ordered a MobilePre, an XLR cable and a pair of RCA-TS adapters.

I think I will be ready to test full-range once the stuff gets in!

Going to bug the out of my friends with this. HA!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Received my calibrated EMM-6 in CA today - looks great!

Is the serial number a Dayton thing or a CSL creation? I don't see any markings on the mic.

Thanks again for the great service, Herb. :T

BK
The serial number is mine, so I can keep track of the various mics for the inevitable screw-ups. I also have serial numbers for the Behringer mics - I started using my own S/N before Behringer started tagging their mikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The serial number is mine, so I can keep track of the various mics for the inevitable screw-ups. I also have serial numbers for the Behringer mics - I started using my own S/N before Behringer started tagging their mikes.
But if the SN is only on the paperwork and not on the mic itself....

I think I'll lightly etch the SN into the base of mine with a diamond-tip pen, just in case I end up with a collection of them some day. :bigsmile:

BK

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
But if the SN is only on the paperwork and not on the mic itself....

I think I'll lightly etch the SN into the base of mine with a diamond-tip pen, just in case I end up with a collection of them some day. :bigsmile:

BK
I actually bought stickers that I was going to use to stick the S/N to each mic but decided against it at the last minute because I didn't want to mar the mikes. Maybe next go-round, I'll include the sticker in the case and let the buyer make the choice.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
EMM-6 update: the last group of microphones has been packed, labeled and will be shipping out on Tuesday. I have four EMM-6 microphones left. Go get 'em!

After those are sold out, I'll put up a sign-up page for interest in another group-buy, and when I get a minimum number, we can do this again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick & dirty EMM-6 output impedance measurement using the voltage divider method, a signal generator and an imedpance-matching potentiometer.
Thank you for this. I have to say I expected the impedance to be flatter, but I think the 300 ohms I came up with is a good average from that graph.

edit: I'm also interested in the distortion measurements. A near-field measurement of a 15" Dayton sub came up with ~19% second harmonic, ~119dB @ 50Hz.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Thank you for this. I have to say I expected the impedance to be flatter, but I think the 300 ohms I came up with is a good average from that graph.
That result does seem rather... odd, doesn't it? I think it may be caused by my "quick and dirty" method. I did another impedance method with slightly more rigor (and a different mic):

That's more in line with what I would have expected, but still higher than 200 ohms.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Well the holidays are almost upon us. I implied in the other CSL thread that I was considering offering a Black Friday special. Given that I'm a handful of names away from pulling the trigger on another EMM-6 group buy, I figured I would combine the existing discount with another offer.

As always, HTS members will get $5 off.

Everyone (including HTS members) will also get $9 off the order. That basically means free shipping for domestic orders of 1 mic and discounted shipping for international orders.

There is a limit for this offer however - it will apply to the first 25 orders only.

I'm still at the sign-up stage, but when I get enough interest in the group up, I'll put up the order page and I expect to start shipping mics within 3 days of closing the order page.

EDIT: belay that post - it turns out PE is sold out of EMM-6's and won't get anymore until January. I'm going to see if I can get s deal on ECM8000's from them or another supplier.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Just checking, does this mean the group buy is on hold? I was about to put my name down.
Well EMM-6 groups buys are obviously on hold until January, but I am trying to set up a group buy for ECM8000 right now. If you're interested in the ECM8000 for that price (plus discounted shipping), by all means sign up!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Bad news: I can't get a deal for ECM8000s.

Good news: I may be able to start selling calibrated ECM8000-type mics for *significantly * less than what I've been selling the Dayton's for. Stay tuned.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Bad news: EMM-6 group-buy won't happen until next year. I also was not able to get discounted pricing on ECM8000 microphones. I do have something cooking which will enable me to sell calibrated mics at a lower price than currently, but that's not likely to happen until next spring.

Good news: in the spirit of Black Friday, I'm offering ECM8000 at the discounted EMM-6 prices for this week only. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
If anyone (particularly international customers) have ordered an EMM-6 during the last group-buy and not received it yet, please contact me ASAP. There has been a rash of lost and misrouted packages this go-round (including a few packages destined for Western Europe that seem to have wound up in Brazil) and the USPS investigative process takes some time to complete, so I like to get the process started as soon as I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Staying and tuning and etc'ing.....

Just got an email from Parts Express... one of their Black Friday deals is the EMM-6, on sale! Of course, they're out of stock as they have been, with an arrival time of 1-16.

Any plans for an EMM-6 sale buy/offer out of this?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #196 (Edited)
Staying and tuning and etc'ing.....

Just got an email from Parts Express... one of their Black Friday deals is the EMM-6, on sale! Of course, they're out of stock as they have been, with an arrival time of 1-16.

Any plans for an EMM-6 sale buy/offer out of this?
JonP I just sent you a PM, please check it when you get a chance.

To answer your question, the answer is "maybe" depending on the specifics. The problem is that I'm going to want to ask for the money up front - are people willing to pay and then wait 6-8 weeks for delivery?

edit: Oh my, they're selling it for $35!

edit 2: I will be offering a group buy for these mics, and I will also be buying a couple of dozen to sell once they're released for those that don't want me holding on to their money for 8 weeks. Check back here in a couple of hours for details.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Hello fellow audio nuts.

PE is having a special on EMM-6 microphones, which means I am having a special on these mics. Please note that PE is sold out of mics and won't have any in stock until mid-January, which means I will not be shipping them out until mid/late January.

For those that don't want me holding on to their money for 6-8 weeks, I will be buying a couple of dozen extra mics that I'll sell in January when I receive them (although I haven't decided if I'll sell them for the Black Friday price (see below) or the typical group-buy price.

Prices for mics in this deal start at $65 for Basic mics, up to $90 for Premium+. To sweeten the deal, I'm going to offer one more incentive: orders placed between 12:00am - 11:59pm on Friday, Nov 29 will qualify for a $9 discount - this is equal to free shipping on domestic orders of single mics, and 25%-40% discount for international shipping.

The Home Theater Shack EMM-6 discount will not be in place during Friday sales (hey, I gotta make something on these orders!), but when free shipping ends on Saturday, I'll reinstate the discount.

The sale will continue through the weekend. I'll end the sale early on Sun evening so I can place the final PE orders.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
FYI, I just got an email notification that PE has shipped the EMM-6 mics. Assuming I get them by the end of this week, I should have them all shipped out by Christmas. I have three left if you still want to get in on the savings.

181 - 200 of 212 Posts