Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I roughed in 2 X Coax/RCA cables to the screen wall ... will that be OK to hook up the subs ?

Thanks again

This one never got addressed and I have the insulation guy coming over tomorrow :)

What do most people use for cables for their subs ? ( amp will be about 20 ft away )

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK ... now I am confused LOL

1 - coax from receiver to amp right ? ( RCA ends )

2 - I have already roughed in coax ( RCA ends ) from amp location ( 20 ft away ) to sub location

2 - what I hear you saying is that if the amp is 20 ft away I need to run 2 X 12g speaker wire for each sub from amp to sub location instead of the coax that I have there now ? ... is that right ?

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Well it depends where you put your amp. But you need coax (rca) from receiver to amp, and speaker wire from amp to subwoofers.

Coax is already run but in your case you also have the option of running 1/4" or XLR to from receiver to amp as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I will wire 1 X 12G speaker wire for each sub ( 2 wires total ) as the amp will be 20 ft away ... this is correct right ?

next is figuring out the internal volume minus the driver, bracing and port ? ... is there a easy way to figure out what the volume of those are ?

from what I understand the 13 cu ft internal volume is minus the above right ?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The wiring is right. The 13 cu.ft. is the net volume, you add the displacement of the the sub, port and bracing to it. Contact CSS to find out the displacement of the sub (link at the top of the page), a port 8 inches in diameter 40.25 inches long is 1.1 cu. feet, and the bracing you'll have to figure out as it depends on how much you use.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Mike ... whenever anyone comments on how awesome the sub(s) sound I will simply say " thanks to Mike ! " :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Mike ... since I am getting closer to finishing the theater now ... one last question regarding the SDX15 ... if I were to use a slot port for this 13 cu ft design ... what would the dimensions of the port need to be ( cu ft ? ) ? ... that way once I decide on the dimensions of the box I can modify the size of the port to the box

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So as long as I modify the port to that internal volume ( depending on the final dimensions of the box ) I should be fine right ?

eg ... a 4" X 24" X 13.125" long create the same tuning right ?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts