Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Entering the parameters of the PR in WinISD starts with no mass added and the PR's default effect on the tuning frequency of the cabinet. Adding mass lowers the tuning frequency of the cabinet. Adding 9 - 45 gram washers to the APR 15 would tune a 4 cu.ft. box to 21.5 hz. The model is with 500 watts input power and a Hi-pass filter at 18 hz.

Text Line Technology Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
It sounds like a 1980's conversation. Current PR's have advanced in the last 20 years and are designed to handle the weight and excursion. The above conversation only would make sense when PR's had 8 mm Xmax and were easily overloaded.(15-20 years ago) That is not the case today with PR's that have excursion in excess of 35mm. There are PR builds in the Database, I've yet to hear any complaints. I personally have tested the CSS 10 inch PR's. I tortured them with test tones with lots of mass added, they never missed a beat.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Adire had a recommended alignment for the 12" Shiva with a 15" PR. As for dual smaller drivers with a much larger PR, it's all about the combined Vd of the subs and the PR being able to handle it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 - 10 inch subs or 4 - 8 inch subs, if modeling shows the PR is within it's limits, then it's fine.

As for "distorted sound" from "heavy PR's, There are alot of A.E. 2100 gram PR's out there capable of swinging 3 inches peak to peak, I've yet to hear anyone complain of distorted sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts