Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello mike. I am considering building the quartet 10 build kit. I would like to resize the cube to a 16 inch box. I will be using 3/4 MDF. Will this work? If it does will the amp have to be retuned? will amount of washers differ? will poyfill be an issue
thank you ed z:ponder:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Whats the reason for wanting to resize the cab. For some reason I cant access the CSS page at the minute. In a pr system resizing the cab will alter the tune.

·
Registered
241 Posts
By adding more weights to the passives to bring the tune back down to what the larger enclosure has you can "spread out" the output loss, you would loose 1-2db 20-35hz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. The reason for the smaller cube is for room placement If I can get near the same results with the smaller cube why have a large box. I,ll dampen with some polyfill and add more disc to try and get to 20hz. Once again thank you for the quick replys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mike. Ive completed the sdx10 build.Turned out very nice. Not sure how to post pics. The inside measures 14.5 cubed. Im using 9 discs per side. At around half volume on certain low notes I get this clacking noise. Th e box is air tight any suggestion as to the cause of this. Regards ED

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It could be a loose weight or the pr's may be reaching their limits of excursion, or even the driver. Have you listened when the noise is being produced, to try hear exactly where it is coming form.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.

It could be that the Driver is at it,s limit. But at only half volume? I,ve removed one more weight to 8 Maybe I,m expecting to much from 300 watts. I was borrowing a revel concerto 12b for a bit Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mike. yes the amp i at 12 oclock, and the room is 16 by 24. I guess this is a fairly large room, to bad i only use an area of 12 by 16 to watch dvd. I,m listening to an old pop disc seem to fill the room ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again Mike.
SO now i,ve got 8 weights , moved the sub to a wall close to a corner,still in the listening area though. Amp is at just over 12 o,clock moved the receivers lfecrosseropver to 100 hz. I don,t have any meters to check numbers, but it,s coming together, the clacking noise is gone the room feels full of deep crisp bass. Any other recomentions ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys I,m up to 10 disc per side, speaker in the sweet spot of the room, gain at 12 o,clock and still the driver klacks at certain heavy bass feed (tHE DARK KNIGHT). Would addind some polyfill be an option?Could the 16inch cube be the problem? The sub sound pretty good and tight other than that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts