Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This will be my first subwoofer project. I would like to build a vented enclosure powered sub based on the CSS SD12 subwoofer. I would like to know if anyone used the double port desing found on the CSS website or the baffle-vent desing on the Solen.ca website. (I intend to use the BASH 300 amp sold by CSS)

I am not familiar with computer models for powered subwoofers and I have no idea how to enter amp caracteristics. :dizzy: Also I know that the bass boost is customizable on the Bash amps...

Anyone can :help: ???

Tanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Mike!

Yes this sub is for my HT. But because this is my one and only system it has to sound good for music also : I prefer quality to spl and :hsd:. The cross-over to the sub will be in the 60-80 Hz range. (My front and main speakers are DIY Audax d'Appolito array with 6.5 woofers) I have not decided on box size for the sub. The size of the CSS drawing (18*24*24 in) would be the largest size I can decently fit in my room. (taking the place of the stand under one of my main speakers, would that be a good idea??? :coocoo:) The size of the Solen.ca drawing (16*20*21 in) would be a little easier to fit in the room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again Mike!

I read the thread on your subwoofer project. I would like to know what software you used to calculate the size and tunning of your subwoofer. From the screen-shots it looks to be user-friendly. :T

Tanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello!

I simulated lots of box designs. Finally, I decided to work with the SDX10, because with the SD12 boxe size is to large for my room.

Mike : I have read on another thread that you recommand a 2.5 cu ft box tuned to 21 Hz for the SDX10. I have found that using a 3 cu ft box tuned to 21 hz with a 1 db boost at 27 hz seems to pull a little more lower end. What do you think? This design is very close to Xmax at 300 W

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Mike!

To room I use right now is combination living room and dinning room. It can be closed off but it is a large room. The HT area is 14 by 8 ft. The longest dimension of the room is close to 25 ft. It is an "L" shape.

By the way, if I was not renting, I would close off the HT area.

You are worried about room gain?

Tanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With 3 cu ft, tuned to 21hz. I'am looking at a 4 inch round vent 22.3 in long. Max port speed is around 30.5 m/s.

I am concerned by that, since port noise begins around 26 m/s I think.

I have tried many combination of number and size of port to have a length under 24 inches. I would like to avoid having to put a bend in the port.

What would you use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using 16.16 sq in port area, WinISD calculates a 28.9 in long port.

I was wondering... Does WinISD substract the displaced volume of the port from the total volume of the box when calculating the tunning??? Do I have to use 3 cu ft or 3 cu ft + port volume???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi!

I just received my SDX10 and Bash300. I was suprised how solid and heavy the SDX10 felt (at least for a 10 in driver.) As for the amp, I was suprised how light it was for 300 W RMS amp!!! It is the first time I work with a D class amp!!!

Is there a down side to making a bended port, like Rodny did???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts