Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I have built and still finishing a ported css sdx 15" ported enclosure, and was wondering if anyone was interested. I have seen a bunch here. If there is interest i will supply specs and pics. Thanx

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Any intersest in another css sdx 15 build?

I am like a lot of others on here, with a slighter budget. I collect subs and experiment with them. I have a few different ones: eD spv.3 15".....eD 190v.2 18"..... Crystal mobile sounds CPMX2 15"....Audiopulse 12" axis......among others. Anyway I just decided to builsd an enclosure for the CSS SDX 15" this time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Please forgive me in advance for my limited wood working skills, at least compared to the others here on this forum. I feel inferior already. I had this sub in a test enclosure sealed, as I see most ppl doing them that way. In the end I love ported!! I decided to go as big as I could with one sheet of mdf. I used all the scraps I have from other builds as bracing to save cost.

I decided to go with (2) (6") pvc ports instead of an l-port this time in order to have a choice in tuning depending on what I am doing that day. I will leave both ports open during music and block one during movies.

3/4" mdf is actually 49"x97"

I went with 49 tallx18.5 widex22 deep. I wanted a small footprint for this one to help with waf. ;)

I have an internal volume of 8.296 ft^3 net tuned to 28.12 hz when using both vents, and an internal volume of 8.6 ft^3tuned to 19.98 when using one vent and other blocked using a pvc test plug.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have pictures uploading to photo bucket currently. As soon as they are ready I'll post em up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I will take more pics later of the enclosure all put together with the sub installed soon. I havent decided how to finish sub yet. I haven't even routered the sides yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

A few of my other unfinished projects are visible in the pic...lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Anyway I love the sub! It handles my Crest CD2000 well. I plan on buying a port blocker at H/D. This sub gets really low even tuned to 27 hz with both ports flowing. I cant wait to hear a movie with the one port blocked to see if it sounds better when tuned to 19 hz. I think they have the pvc screw type plugs at H/D, and I am gonna look for it tomorrow. It seems to need well over the 1000 rms to get the cone moving anywhere near the 30 mm xmax though. I was going to run this on one channel of my amp and another sub on other channel, but now I am considering another amp maybe the EP2500. I like it over the EP4000 because the warranty on the new ones went from 3 yr to 1 yr.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I need to invest in more stuff like a eD eq.2. I have been very careful so far. The only sub I have a problem with is one of my old school CV vega series 12" that has a slightly torn spider from over excursion. In my defense they have a very soft spider. I know there are other brands as well and am open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

You'll have to read up on the unit you linked to and see if it's capable of HPF's at the frequencies you need. For the 19.5 hz tuning you need a HPF at 16 hz and for the 27.5 hz tuning you need a HPF at 17 hz to protect the sub and get the most out of it.

Here's the modeling of your set up with 1000 watts input and the appropriate high pass filters.

sdx15.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re: Another CSS SDX 15 Build

Thanx Mike, do those models look good to you? I wanted something versatlie. It was hard to find lengths that would serve both purposes well. Any more comments on my sdx build anyone?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah the 4db boost around 31hz should give music a little more thump.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

here is a video of me abusing the sub

And dont worry, I wont be pushing it that hard ever again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts