Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just waiting to get the final measurements for port length and tuning, but got started today anyways:

Here's the 46" piece of 16" sonotube as well as a 31" length of 6" PVC for the port:

Easy to cut this stuff. Just measure it, mask off the one side as a guide, then use a jig or skil to cut it. Like butter!

May not look neat, but its a perfectly straight cut! :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Look forward to watching and seeing it progress. The Trio 12 looks like a great driver, just doesn't seem to get the attention some others do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after some deliberation with Mike P., it seems I needed a 38.5" port. So my 6" PVC was useless. As luck would have it, a friend of mine was throwing out a 45" piece of SUPER THICK 6" PVC!! Voila, new port, no cost. My favorite kind of spare part.......FREE!

Also lucky is this same friend has a sliding chop-saw. My little 8 1/4" mitre saw would have been useless with this PVC. Two quick swipes and 39" port was done!

Start cutting the circles this week.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike, one last question.....I may be coming into a free/cheap 500W BASH plate amp....will this build be able to utilize the amp or is it best to stick with the 300W?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which Bash 500, the P.E or the O-Audio? If it's the P.E. amp then it comes with a Hi-Pass filter at 30 hz, it would need to be changed. It would work well with your setup.

I believe the TRIO12 is single 4 ohm.
Its either a BASH 500W or an HSPA 500W. Both have hi-pass filters set to 18hz.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's a BASH 500W with a 18 hz HPF then someone modified it.
Bob told me when I was in the market for a BASH that all his in stock were set to 18hz. So it could have easily originated there without someone else having to modify it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks to Bob at CSS, my Trio 12 showed up today. Packaged professionally, as always. What a beauty!

Endcaps, sonotube, and port are cut. All that's left is the sanding, painting, and assembling! Really excited for this build. I am even flirting with the idea of WHITE endcaps!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
White endcaps would unique, that I've never seen. Are you still going with a Bash 500?
Its going to be run off an LT.300 for a month or so. After that, it may even get run off a Behringer EP1500 (one channel, the other channel would be for the Shiva 200L build).....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the endcaps cut and glued. Not sanded yet. That's today hopefully, if I get my butt in gear. Got a couple dings on the top cap edge....may have to shave it down with a router or do some heavy sanding. Also got some grill covers for all the ports on my subs. Been meaning to do that for a while now....

Chickened out on the white endcaps, LOL. Bought black instead.

This should be FINISHED this week.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished this last week...never got around to uploading the pics.

Done some testing.....I don't know what to make of the results, or how its even possible. I need to do some further sound tests to make sure what I am hearing is right. I will update soon:

The endcaps, unsanded, and unpainted:

Bottom (driver) endcap sanded and painted with the driver press-fit into place:

Painted the end of the port tube so it blends in with the top endcap:

Top (port) endcap sanded and painted:

Driver in place:

Port in place, super-secured, air leaks all sealed up!:

Bottom endcap attached to sonotube!

All put together!

'

Covered!

Next to the MUCH larger Shiva-x 200L sonosub:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Looks good- with a quick turnaround too. I'm curious how it sounds compared to the shiva...as I didn't spring for shiva's in my 12" sealed sono's (couldn't afford three), but opted for eD's 12" driver- unfortunately never even thought of the trio 12.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Forgot to ask- what tuning did you build to? Also, just wanted to confirm you measured the inside diameter of the port and sonotube for measurements...but you shouldn't be surprised if you hear sweet, powerful bass coming from it:T

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgot to ask- what tuning did you build to? Also, just wanted to confirm you measured the inside diameter of the port and sonotube for measurements...but you shouldn't be surprised if you hear sweet, powerful bass coming from it:T
I tuned the enclosure to ~19hz as per Mike P's recommendation. I measured INSIDE diameter for the volume of both port and sonotube.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts