Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
It's definitely exciting to see it take shape, as slow as that is. I pick it up on one end every now and again to get a feel for the weight. Conclusion...it's heavy! I'm sure I've moved heavier more awkward things though, so this won't be so bad.

Mark, pressures good for you. Keeps you on your toes and in top form.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Summer in the construction industry and free time don't tend to co-exist. Then add an acreage with grass and rain every other day...one could be a full time mower!!

Here's a little update on some progress. I've got most of the bracing in, and just need to put some braces in the big turn and in the mouth. Then I can prep the driver space and put the last big panel on to close it up.

trio 28.jpg
Second segment bracing
trio 29.jpg
vertical bracing for the third segment
trio 30.jpg
third segment braced!
trio 31.jpg
the mouth of the beast (unbraced as of yet)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Can't believe its been over 2 weeks since I was able to work on the project! That's what life does sometimes. I know there are others here that have had to slow down production as summer activities role in. The hard part is picking up where one left off and continuing with the same gusto and determination. Now my unfortunately uninsulated garage is around 35 degrees Celsius during the late afternoon, so working in there is a test of will, not just a test of energy. And so I press on. I actually watched the Transformers 2 bluray last night, pre-horn, just to get a good feel for what I have now and to have a reference for when this beast is ready. I still think those 2 sealed peerless are surprisingly good...things were rattling in the room that never have before. I think I'll be doing some vibration suppression once the horn is in place(I think the adjustable shelves in my component rack will suddenly become non-adjustable).

trio 32.jpg
bracing installed in the big turn

trio 33.jpg
expanding foam (and some batts to follow) in the center divider

trio 34.jpg
two coats of primer and two coats of paint in advance in the mouth

trio 35.jpg
extra material cut away to prep for the driver cover and final panel instal

trio 36.jpg
waiting.......

I'm hoping to get the final panel on tonight, so it can dry and then the prep starts on the driver cover-once the glue dries.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Pretty good cabinet making for a lowly framer!

All I can say is great job.

And interesting idea about subwoofer comparison. I can tell you that there will be a difference. There will be a change in tone,as in you may miss some grunt at the beginning. That's your Peerless drivers pooping out. Drivers getting to their excursion limits tend to distort quite badly. This sounds like louder bass. Takes a bit of getting used to listening to clean loud bass. What you will get in spades will be punch, and much greater dynamics. Toss in being able to drop almost an octave deeper with the same level of efficiency, and much lower distortion. You will enjoy going through your movie and music collection trying everything you thought had low end. Some will disappoint, some will knock your socks off.

Still waiting for woof off. ( phone spell checker can't change it this time! I'm fixing and typing on my puter.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks, guys.

Well it was midnight before we were done, but the panel is on and clamped and drying!! :flex:The pictures are taken after all the glue squeeze out was cleaned up, so don't be concerned...there was glue almost everywhere! A peek inside with a trouble light revealed good glueing everywhere I could see, and if there were gaps(and I don't think there were), they did not exist any longer.

trio 37.jpg

trio 38.jpg

todays task...rest this morning, and build the driver hatch this afternoon while the glue cures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone,
I've been looking for some extra help on building this horn. I purchased the kit and did not receive manual or CD. Contacted Bob and he sent me via email the sketchup drawings but I'm having difficulty discerning the parts vs location from them. This build is a different design so was wondering if this is an improved version? (Looks great by the way). Also do not have a layout drawing for the throat dimensions. If someone has a copy I could obtain that would great. I could probably get close from the drawings but would rather have exact dimensions.
If anyone watching this thread could help I would appreciate it. :help: Thank You!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Kadijk I apologize for jumping in your build thread, but I thought my chances of success would be better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Again. KF

·
Registered
580 Posts
So .....!

Wheres the Kaboom???

THere's supposed to be a Kaboom!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I'm getting closer every day. In preparation for sealing the driver enclosure this question comes to mind...mostly for mark...do I put stuffing in the driver space? I know I read in the build documents to stuff to taste, but I'm thinking once that baby is closed up, I'm not going to want to open it again for a long long time. Any opinion? There sure isn't alot of room back there! Maybe some batt insulation?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Leave it empty. The volume is carefully worked out. Fill in a horn will not help you out much.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts