Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well it's been a crazy weekend of controlled frenzy. I managed to get the driver enclosure complete, did some modifications for the hook up terminal, and drilled and installed the threaded inserts for the driver cover. Saturday was planned as completion day, and so 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and some soldering had to happen. I'm thankful to my loving wife, who lived basically without me for the day as I tried my best to get this thing done. I'm learning...slowly...it's the last two percent of almost any project that will tend to kill a person.So thanks again to my wife for being patient with me in these last couple days. Here is some progress to look at...
trio 39.jpg
backing in the driver enclosure for weather strip and threaded inserts
trio 40.jpg
nail holes and blemishes filled and ready for sanding
trio 41.jpg
test fit on the driver cover
trio 42.jpg
I don't think the true size of the cabinet hit me until we stood it on end. That's a 6' ladder standing there
trio 43.jpg
painted, drying, waiting for morning
trio 44.jpg
driver cover with the hookup ready to go

Now for some muscle, and locktite, and patience...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Da Sub is in Da House!! :hsd:

Early this morning my son and I loaded the horn onto the truck and drove it to the basement door for easy access to the theater. Yup, it was heavy. But we made the 50' carry and began the final steps. Driver instal, cover instal, and some test placement. I love how it disappears into the corner and just sits there waiting to knock your socks off.
trio 45.jpg
loaded and ready to go
trio 46.jpg

trio 47.jpg
test position one
trio 48.jpg
test position two. much better this way, and I'm not sure why. Might have to do with the lack of doors and the back of the room. This faces the side.

So...we watched Inception BD, and I had to turn the amp level down a fair bit from where I had it with the two Peerless 10's. The low's were incredible, and I think things were shaking in the house that have never shook before. My wife and two children watching with us were very impressed, and so am I. I'm not sure what to say except Awesome! My concrete floor felt like it was melting, or at least moving!
Afterwords I did a little test on my own with the WOTW pod scene, and the amp driving the sub went into protection...a little scary. Then I started thinking about things. I forgot that the Trio 12 is a 4 ohm driver and the Peerless are 8ohm. So I have switched the amp setting( a switch on the back) and will have to do some more listening tomorrow. Hopefully the driver is not damaged (?) and the amp lives on (?). I guess I'll see tomorrow evening. Aside from that I am really impressed so far with the deep and full sound. I did a little mid movie switcheroo from the Peerless to the horn, and there really is no comparison. It's fuller, deeper, and even more hard hitting on the punchy side.

Thanks to Mark, and Bob, for a great product and a great design. I'm "preaching" CSS to everyone who asks for sub advice.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Finally.

All that hard work and you get a payoff. The great part is that you will be getting a return on investment for many years to come. Forgot a comment on the great looks. It's a big ugly box that goes boom. And you managed to make it look good. Awesome workmanship.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Absolutely fantastic! I really couldn't picture how big it was, even with the photo of it beside the ladder, until you put it in the corner. That is one mammoth beast and like Mark said, you made it look good! Great even! Painting it the same color as the walls is a stroke of genius. I probably would have done something stupid like painting it black.

Seeing it now in your space has given me a bunch of ideas for mine. I only hope my rusty woodworking skills are up to the challenge!

Well done! :T

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello favelle.

There is one piece inside that requires a 45° cut. Every single piece including that one could be done with a skill saw and a straight 2x4 as a guide. You need a drill and a caulking gun, a jigsaw would be very useful. Otherwise you need vision, tenacity and muscles.

The manual provides the vision.

Tenacity and muscles......

Your on your own buddy!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
@favelle. I think it's totally possible to build this enclosure in the conditions you describe. Just remember scale. It's not a 2'x2'x2' cube. It's like building four of those at once, all in one piece. The woodwork isn't complicated, it's large. And the bigger you get the more careful and accurate one needs to be simply because error seems to compound faster. Care, patience, determination. Muscles. And help from some shacksters and youre shaking the earth in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I made a huge assumption, maybe in error. I've installed the Trio 12 driver with only the factory gasket as a sealer to the baffle. I'm not convinced that it's sealing, and now I'm wondering if I should have used a weatherstrip as well. Any advice? It's a big job to do, but certainly not impossible. My hunch about the seal is that I feel like there should be more clarity and punch, and I'm wondering if that's a seal/air pressure issue at the motorboard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just used the factory gasket and didn't have any problems. Might depend on how smooth/flat the surface is.

By the way... I wouldn't say mine has a whole ton of 'kick' or 'punch'. It's more of an incredible extension of really deep bass. I think what some people associate with 'punch' is more of a mid-bass.

...mose

·
Registered
580 Posts
2 things to think about.

You want the best deal you can get.

Play with your crossover frequency to see if you need a little bit more help with the front speakers.

If I remember correctly the woofers on those towers are not very big.

Kick and punch in music comes mostly from 80 hertz up to 240 hertz.

I had a few young gents beat the living day lights out of this sub with Rap and such. They came out all ear to ear smiles. One of them had a SDX15 Monkey coffin as a comparison. The comment was that SDX15 was not even close.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Okay. Now I'm impressed!! A little bit of progression from yesterday...I did some reading, some research, some "talking", and concluded, with some great advice from those who know better than me, that the Trio 12 needs weatherstrip rather than the gasket it comes with. So down came the box (yes it's heavy), off came the cover and OUT with the driver. I lined the recess I cut into the motor board with two strips of weatherstrip, and then reinstalled the driver onto the baffle. This time I know it's sealed. I got everything back together and did some testing again with the same "music" I was using earlier.

U2 Get on Your Boots
Porter Robinson The State

I'm really happy with the result now. I was hearing a fair bit of distortion before, and a weird flapping vibration deep in the enclosure. Must have been the leaky seal. Now I have distinguishable notes waaaay down low, punch, kick, and no more ugly noise. It's clean, clear, and ominous. The room is full! of incredible bass, and the house shook with every impact.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Finally we have KaBoooM!

I knew there was supposed to be Kaboom some where in all this!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Oh baby. There's KaBoooom alright. Knock your socks off kaboom. I had the Porter Robinson song on and went upstairs to observe the effects. Let me tell you...there was a full jug of water on the kitchen table that was hopping with the low freq hits. The floor trusses were moving. The concrete floor downstairs was moving. And that's with zero room pressurization due to the absence of doors(yes, I still have to hang the doors). So once the room is buttoned up...just imagine. And all that with an old Kenwood AVR pushing 100w/ch that I got for $35 feeding the beast!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
No doubts Mark. No doubts. I tried to have low expectations all the way through, but the weatherstrip issue let me down. And that was my own fault. Now I would suggest to anyone asking, to go in with high expectations. I've never heard a sub like this one.
I just watched the first few scenes from the Dark Knight. There's stuff in there I have not heard before, and I've watched that beginning a few times. It's absolutely awesome. Cyberfloatie...come on over! Any time. I have a feeling you'll be building soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi, i'm a bit of topic, but i need help. i like that horn from what i read and see on this thread, i tried to contact the CSS, but i get no response, i'm from slovenia, should that be the reason?

81 - 100 of 154 Posts