Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
first attempt at the motorboard. You can see the threads of the inserts coming through the edges. I couldn't leave it like that and sleep well...
I find that odd. I didn't have that problem with my Trio12 at all. Kinda sucks that you had to do that extra work. How did you make the flange by the way? You said you used a 3/16 rabit. I have no router experience (yet) but just bought a new one and looking for pointers. I also have a Jasper circle jig I bought.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
dgolly said:
hi, i'm a bit of topic, but i need help. i like that horn from what i read and see on this thread, i tried to contact the CSS, but i get no response, i'm from slovenia, should that be the reason?
If you respond on the CSS website, I'm sure that Bob will get back to you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
caper26 said:
I find that odd. I didn't have that problem with my Trio12 at all. Kinda sucks that you had to do that extra work. How did you make the flange by the way? You said you used a 3/16 rabit. I have no router experience (yet) but just bought a new one and looking for pointers. I also have a Jasper circle jig I bought.
I used the jasper jig as well. You have to cut the rabit first, before you cut out the hole. I used a 1/2" flat bottomed bit and set the depth at around 3/16". Then reset on the circle jig and use a 1/4" straight cutting bit to make the hole. Take your time, plan well, cut once.

·
Registered
303 Posts
right. I thought you said you used a rabbit bit though, which is why I was confused.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, Is it possible to get plans for that horn in digital form? since i'm not able to get trio 12" horn kit, i manage to get only the speaker, i have no plans, so please if anyone can help.

Jaka.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kadijk, you must have got the last TRIO12. :crying:

My wife tried to order the TRIO12 kit for me today. This is the response she got back from Bob:

Thank you for your contact. Regrettably we are out of stock on the driver and it is being discontinued. We are looking for another driver to fit the cabinet but it will be more expensive.
I'm trying not to be too disappointed and hoping that I'll still (eventually) be able to build a horn that will produce comparable (or better?) results to the TRIO12 but for now I'll just have a little pity party and be envious of those of you who are presently enjoying the glorious lows produced by your horns.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not so fast there wailing cyberfloatie.

There is another driver that meet and exceed the TRIO12 in this enclosure.

Send me a P.M. I gives you the insides tip.

Or if enough people want it I can post it publicly.

This box is to good to throw away. I have been looking for a replacement for a while.

And I found one!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Since the TRIO12 is no longer going to be produced then it only makes sense a replacement is found for this horn. I fail to see how the Faital Pro 12FH510 can match the low end output of the original design when its Xmax is less than half of a TRIO12. What am I missing?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hopefully the sdx12 comes in stock soon. Not to rub it in, but I am getting started on my trio12 tonight (trio12 apr15 kit).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Since the TRIO12 is no longer going to be produced then it only makes sense a replacement is found for this horn. I fail to see how the Faital Pro 12FH510 can match the low end output of the original design when its Xmax is less than half of a TRIO12. What am I missing?
Great to see you Back Mike.

The TRIO12 is a dead duck. As far as I know Bob has no direct replacement in the works. There is an SDX12 but that is an entirely different animal. Not really suited to this horn. Not efficient enough and not a strong enough motor versus the cone mass.

A horn likes to see a light stiff cone, with a lot of horse power behind it. I don't mean watts. Watts can be likened to gasoline in a motor. If you are running a one liter motor and pouring on the gas you are going to hit a point where there is nothing left to give. Do the same thing with a 454 and the more gas you pour into the puppy the faster you can go. Same fuel, different reserve capacities.

Look at the BL figures, these are the numbers that actually tell you the available force per watt of power coming into the loudspeaker motor. Think of it as cubic inches or cubic centimeters. A higher Bl means a stronger motor. The measured BL on the TRIO12 is 17. The BL on the Faital driver is also 17. There are other more expensive drivers that will even outperform this one.

As for Xmax figures. All woofers don't win the numbers game. They win in the real game. Playing music. Pro drivers are usually setup to extract the maximum efficiency out of the power coming in. The Faital driver has a 12mm thick top plate (similar to the TRIO12 thickness actually) where most of the magnetic energy is focused. It has a 19mm long coil. And a mechanical stroke of 22.5mm before it goes poof! These are Pro quality drivers. They behave themselves.

·
Registered
99 Posts

test position two. much better this way, and I'm not sure why. Might have to do with the lack of doors and the back of the room. This faces the side.
Nice build! I prefer that position too for my T-TQWT.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yep. Just got back from the shop. Build is in the CSS section of DIY subs here on HTS

101 - 120 of 154 Posts