Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Guys
I hope to finally get to build one of the Trio12 Horn Loaded subs - or maybe go the whole hog and build a stereo pair. I know that the Trio12 is out of production. There are still a few for sale in various places or I plan to use the new driver that Mark has recommended.

I really want to get hold of a copy of the build manual and pictures. I gather that it was really well put together and very helpful. I have tried several times to get a response from CSS - I am sure that they could run off another copy of the information part of the kit, excluding any hardware. But I can't get an answer. I offered to pay for the information.

Mark very kindly sent me some plan layouts and the sketch pdf, but I really would like to see the build information and pictures.

Seeing as how I can't buy it from CSS, can anyone supply me with a copy. I am happy to pay for any costs involved (although I'm sure it is all digital). As I said, I am not trying to go around CSS - I have offered to buy but they won't reply.

Any help please !

·
Registered
580 Posts
Send me an email Pete, I'll fix you up with whatever you are missing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Hi Pete. You're going to love that speaker! I never get sick of that beautiful rumble. If you have any questions while you build, fire away. Start a build thread, maybe, so that we can follow along. It's always fun to watch the progress on a project, especially when we know what you're end product will be. And Mark...if there's any docs you're missing I still have them all too. They are easy to email if need be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Given the small handful of documented builds, I feel like this horn never got the following that it truly deserved. I found the discussion around the design/measuring/listening to be fascinating.

I was also really sad to see this driver get discontinued. I really can't justify buying a driver for a build that is (at best) a couple years down the road for me. I already have several drivers on the shelf that are waiting for their cabinets. ... But it seems like the Trio12 is about to go extinct, and I really want to hear this horn!

Perhaps just the plans and detailed build instructions could be made available for those interested enough even though the driver is NLA... I'd imagine some would be willing to purchase the plans and then go hunting for a suitable driver. Or better yet, maybe they'd do another run of Trio12s if that's even possible :) . The features/price were formidable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Mark is the man. He's working on it. Drivers have been selected and sourced. So, no trio 12, but still a front loaded horn that absolutely kicks. It literally shakes my house. Each floor is ~2500sqft, and the doors at the opposite end of the house crack in their openings when the low notes hit. And all this, remember, powered by an amp saved from the shelves of Sally Ann. It's outrageous!! Thanks for the comments, btw. It's been a fun journey.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mark has already sourced a replacement driver for this design and I have one sitting on the floor in my room. I will be doing my build over the Christmas break with the help of my father. I'll start a build thread in a few days and will keep you all posted here with pictures and quite likely many many questions.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good luck on the driver hunt, Mark - I'm sure you'll find something :)

For those of you really wanting to try a CSS based horn - my SDX10 tapped horn is still an option. You can even come listen to mine if you're close enough.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are already two drivers available that meet and exceed the older drivers specifications.

Not looking.

Found! :sn:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Good luck on the driver hunt, Mark - I'm sure you'll find something :)

For those of you really wanting to try a CSS based horn - my SDX10 tapped horn is still an option. You can even come listen to mine if you're close enough.
If I'm ever going to be in the Swift Current, Maple Creek area I'll definitely take you up on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have been going thru several post here and it looks like the horn sub is the way to go. I have a 3200 ft^3 AV/family room that is next to a laundry room and a garage. I was planning on putting the horn in one of these room and having the mouth in the AV room. Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

·
Registered
303 Posts
and if you were going to use another room, wouldn't IB be the choice?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
It's holidays, so Mark might be MIA, but he did suggest to me early on in the process that having the sub in another room with the mouth facing into the theater is a workable scenario. I'm not totally sure how the sound of the horn compares to an IB, but I do know the horn is awesome, requires very little amp power, and only one relatively low priced driver. IB requires a lot of amp power, multiple drivers, and a big commitment from your house. The horn was the best combination of cheap, ultra-low, and loud. It just takes some building to achieve.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nope, Mark is alive a kicking, digging out of a nice snow storm. This is the time you appreciate large tractors with front end loaders!

As for mounting the horn sub.

Yes you only need the exit of the horn open to the room you desire to have the sound in.

Makes for a nice discreet installation if you so desire.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts