Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick rundown on the build of the speakers I use in my 2-channel rig. This is the second version. The previous were corner horns with JBL guts.

First some MDF and Baltic birch to build the skeleton.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a closeup of the four layers of kerf MDF that make up the sides. I have filled it with glass beads used in bead blasting. This stuff is finer than sand and pours like water.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here I'm starting to veneer the cabinets with sapele pommele. I used Heat Lock glue that you roll on and let dry. I then afixed the veneer with a steam iron (don't tell the wife).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cabinets veneered and the front baffles painted with a textured grey paint.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the feet I machined from some 6061 billet aluminum bar, cut it into 4" slugs and trued up on a metal lathe. There are three per speaker. They had to be able to handle the 300+ pounds per speaker.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the finished speaker without the grill.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the same speaker from the back showing the open back for the Altec 511B horn with the Altec 802-8G driver. The blue bag around the throat is 2 1/2 pounds of lead shot.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Beautiful work.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful work.
Thank you. They are a labor of love.

By the way, I used the image button to insert the pics. It is using the cap IMG tag.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a picture with the grills on. They are made from a metal mesh covered with some JBL blue grille cloth.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here with the grilles removed.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 20502
Your speakers look fantastic !

But I have to ask : View attachment 20500

Paul P
I feel I would be a bit prejudice on the point, but people who have heard them agree, they are incredible. They are dynamic, fast, liquid midrange, open, airy and a bottom end that make you think there is a sub somewhere. They can articulate at very low output and still shake the walls when you throw the power on. If anyone is every in the San Antonio area, drop me a line and we'll have a few drinks and spin some vinyl or CD's. Be sure to bring some music you like and are familiar with.

Remember the only person who has to like your stereo is you.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Love the beautiful veneer. I need to get started on my speakers soon. I am in envy of everyone on here turning out beautiful pieces of work like this one and mine are sitting in the shed waiting to be started.

Awesome job!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work:T Did you design the Xover?
Each driver has its strong points for making the mix. The JBL 2235H has tight bass and power handling. The Altec 802-8G has the tangerine phase plug and when mounted on the Altec 511B has a beautiful liquid midrange. The JBL 077 gives me that top end sizzle that my other designs were lacking.

The cross over is based on an Altec N501 and JBL 3106. I added the attenuators so I could dial in the horns to taste.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember the only person who has to like your stereo is you.
Actions always speak louder than words, however looking at what you've accomplished there... I'm not sure words are even needed. "Like"? Dude!!! There's a lot of L-O-V-E there. My compliments.:clap:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actions always speak louder than words, however looking at what you've accomplished there... I'm not sure words are even needed. "Like"? Dude!!! There's a lot of L-O-V-E there. My compliments.:clap:
Love and OCD...the entire process did spread out over four years with a three year break in the middle while listening to them; build - listen - veneer

1 - 20 of 61 Posts