Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some speakers I built for my friend Carter. He had the vintage Altec 605B sitting around and wanted to use them. Here is the design I came up with based on the Altec 620 cabinets plans.

First I cut up a couple sheets of 3/4" MDF.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I start to build the boxes and add some bracing. The front baffle is inset with the bottom portion filled in with an additional layer of MDF.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some test fitting before I finished putting in the 2x2 frame the back screws to.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added a skirt to the bottom and some brass inserts for spikes.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wrapping the grill frames with some vintage cloth. I used double sided carpet tape to hold it before I stapled it in place.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Nice job! I'm sure it is harder to make than you make it look like though... Maybe someday I will try and tackle a DIY speaker. Everyone makes it look so easy which is so tempting.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job! I'm sure it is harder to make than you make it look like though... Maybe someday I will try and tackle a DIY speaker. Everyone makes it look so easy which is so tempting.
Hard is a relative term. They are labor intensive for sure. Also the tools you have will make a huge difference on the quality and ease of build. On one extreme a hand saw and hammer and nails would work but take forever. If you CNC all the pieces, everything fits like a dream and it all goes together in a breeze. I'm somewhere in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.