Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my first attempt at a "take no prisoners" sub. The driver is a 15, has a 3" flat wound voice coil and has an Xmax of 19mm (it is not commercially available, a business associate of mine built it for me). The enclosure comes to 3.5 cu.ft. net (4.1 gross) and is tuned to 18 Hz with two 3" Aeroports. The baffle is doubled 3/4" mdf and the braces are dadoed to interlock with each other and the box. The driver fires down, the ports fire to the rear (away from the seating in the room). The 3 dB down point in room (according to TrueRTA) is 17 Hz before any EQ. It is powered by a Crown Xs1200 (1100 watts rms) and brought neighbors over to see what it was when I was first testing it. I have never calibrated my TrueRTA to get a legit SPL number for in room, but it rivals ANY commercially available setup that I have ever experienced (and i've been to CES @ the Alexis Park and Venetian display rooms).
It is veneered with a maple, but I used a water based stain and poly on it, which did not turn out as nice as I would have liked. I later used some of the same veneer on a different project with some Danish oil and poly and it looked AMAZING! Live and learn...

Baffle.jpg

Cabinet.jpg

Case.jpg

Sub.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Hello from St. Louis

More pics:

Looking into the completed sub 4.1 ft3 tuned to 18 Hz w 2 3" Aeroports

Sub from th rear. The 15" driver fires down, the ports fire back.

The competed sub in our family room.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks very very nice indeed :clap: The finish is nice and i also like the way you have mounted the binding posts, the driver is also interesting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts