Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the picture is compressed about 4 ins from the bottom words look like their sqeezed together vertically... could this be a x-former problem? how do i remove the hi-voltage wires?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
This is NOT a transformer problem! Do not try to remove the high voltage leads. You have a vertical problem and need to troubleshoot that circuit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are a smart man......i think i know where some curcuits are.... theres 4 boards i see when he back is removed... the x- former is on the botton left(from the rear of set), the a/v board is on the right side of the x-former(where all the inputs are connected) , ...i believe the convg. board is right above that one and the board to the left....im not sure about... and ofcorse the power supply is behind the a/v board... if im wrong, please correct me.... where should i look for the problem at? if the x- former "had" to be replaced, i asume since the leads cant b removed that ift comes together with the"distributer" on the front side right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have 2 of thees sets. one i fixed (so far,lol) with your advice about the cracked solder rings around the x-former pins. it uesd to throw the blue color to the left every week. once i resoldered all the pins... i havent had any trouble.....and its been almost a month....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The deflection circuits are on the board with the high voltage transformer. If you don't have an ESR meter to test the caps, and don't know how to identify the vertical output circuit, I suggest you not waste too much effort on this. At the very least I would suggest that you get the service literature and review the circuits if you intend on going any further. Be warned, however, these sets can be a real challenge, even to an experienced tech. Not all problems are as simple as resoldering the IHVT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great i thought that where it might be, the problem is getting that board out of the cabinet. i can unplug all the connectors, slide the bottom out and tilt it up to access the bottom, but trouble shooting is no good with every thing unplugged. ESR? im umfimilar with that. i have a DVM with a capacitance function on it and a fluke ocillicope. ive nothing but time. im currently out of work so time is not a factor, lol. i have to have kidney surgery on the 23 nov. so where can i find service lit? changing the entire board would not be difficult, but it cost money, something i lack of at this time, lol. thanks for your valuable advice and time

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Changing the board can be problematic. Getting the right version is difficult, and most of them are not available.

ESR testing is the easiest way to identify many failing capacitors. There is little substitute for an ESR meter for a serious or even casual tech.

Look in the sticky in the DIY repairs forum for suggestions on where to find manuals.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after comparing both my d52w23 and d53w20 sets..........i discovered the boards have different connectors in some places...lol. im going to find this problem one way or another, if i have to replace one component at atime lol....but first im contacting rca

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you figure out how to contact RCA and get any useful information out of them, let me know. Several thousand techs and repair shops would like that information. RCA was bought out by a Chinese group a while back and has transferred all support for the brand to DEX as I understand it. Even the many very loyal and well stocked parts distributors for RCA don't seem to be able to get things any more, nor any support. Most servicers have reported that the contracts that they are trying to get them to agree to are a joke, and most are not even considering a relationship with the new company.

Your best bet is to use the links that I gave you and just get the most complete manuals for that chassis that you can find. You won't likely get far with RCA, but let us know if you do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts