Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been thinking about damping materials used inside a subwoofer cabinet. Collo's sonosub program tells me to add damping to the underside of the topcap to dampen the box resonance which was around 45hz.
Now if we're taling room treatments, to make a bass absorber to work down to 45hz requires considerable thickness. My current sonotubes are lined with 1 inch polyester batting, the same stuff I have my rigid fibreglass absorber panels wrapped in (which supposedly has no audible effect on the panels). I'm wondering how this stuff could be doing anything inside the sub cabinet.

What is the ideal material for damping a sonosub and how much of it should be used?

Hakka.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Hacka. There is no "ideal" damping materials for speaker enclosures . The golden rule is 1 to 1.3 times the weight of air inside the speaker enclosure in damping material , there is nothing wrong in using polly ceiling bats , The cheapest place for bats is ''Robot Trading" . The amount that you would use is around about 1lb/10cu ft . The amount is not critical . I will leave it to you work out the volume of your sonotube , and how much put in . By the way , there are Metric converters on the net if you are looking for one. Kind regards , Alan.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If this a true DIY project then finding the "right stuff" is what it's all about. If you wanna go cheap and have a lot of old sweat shirts lying around try those. If you wanna spend some bucks then try Alpaca Wool. You tell US when you've found the magical formula, that's what DIY is all about.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this a true DIY project then finding the "right stuff" is what it's all about. If you wanna go cheap and have a lot of old sweat shirts lying around try those. If you wanna spend some bucks then try Alpaca Wool. You tell US when you've found the magical formula, that's what DIY is all about.
Umm...Isn't the idea of a DIY forum so that you can get advice from other DIYers???

Hakka.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes! But one of us DIYers has to do the "original" work/investigation/experimentation to be able to tell others what it is they're supposed to do or know. I thought it was going to be you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts