Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think this will give me nightmares. The wood construction is way too complex for me. I can see screwing a driver down etc. but not much more than that. Like my thesis, I'd never get it finished and it would hang over me forever and ever and ever.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Was just wondering, instead of PMing you Ricci, did you ever get to test two of these DTS-10's in a room?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Click on the link in my signature for the DTS10 test results. Click in the system name in one of the charts to go to the full measurement data link for each system. I have run 2 of them in a large 10,000 cu ft space for a year now. They do a good job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Click on the link in my signature for the DTS10 test results. Click in the system name in one of the charts to go to the full measurement data link for each system. I have run 2 of them in a large 10,000 cu ft space for a year now. They do a good job.
Hi Ricci,

I had previously been to your website and didn't figure out to click on the 'System Name' to get all the info for each system. Just figured that in the future you would post more. I had sure missed a lot!

So for dodoheads like me you may want to consider adding a small instruction on the website to click on the system name.

Thanks for sharing so much.

Rod

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Ricci sorry for the ignorance but what is DUT?

And I saw that the TC sound drivers extended or enhanced the lowend a few db. Would a TH from Danley using the TC sounds drivers extend better also though?

I was just thinking that some much goes in designing of horns for certain drivers that I would assume that Danley could probably design a TH using the TC drivers to perform better than sticking TC drivers in the DTS designed for whatever those special drivers are...NO?

I think its great though for the persons who got the kits. Just add those drivers and wow. But for me who would have to buy the built version I would hope that changing the drivers would not yield anything more or atleast not much of anything more.

I also wondered still is the DTS-10 everything the TH50 is but extends lower?

Just curious. I have only heard good things on both but dont really know anyone who has had or heard them both.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Hi Ricci,

I had previously been to your website and didn't figure out to click on the 'System Name' to get all the info for each system. Just figured that in the future you would post more. I had sure missed a lot!

So for dodoheads like me you may want to consider adding a small instruction on the website to click on the system name.

Thanks for sharing so much.

Rod
I know...Everyone seems to miss this and most of the "real" data is under each individual system test! :doh: I will talk to my partner about adding a note.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Ricci sorry for the ignorance but what is DUT?.
Device under test....AKA...Subwoofer in this case.

And I saw that the TC sound drivers extended or enhanced the lowend a few db. Would a TH from Danley using the TC sounds drivers extend better also though?.

Yes probably. Here is the thing. Danley has to think long term with their company. They cannot design around drivers that may or may not be available in 2 years. They need to use a large reputable company with a track record of longevity and consistency. Many of the popular DIY drivers are more powerful but the small sometimes tiny companies producing them are too much of an unknown for a company like Danley to "hang their hat on" so to speak. Look at the supply, financing, or vendor issues that have plagued companies like Exodus, CSS, AE, TC Sounds, Mach 5, Soundsplinter, etc... That is why they do not usually use these types of drivers.

I was just thinking that some much goes in designing of horns for certain drivers that I would assume that Danley could probably design a TH using the TC drivers to perform better than sticking TC drivers in the DTS designed for whatever those special drivers are...NO?.
I'm sure Tom could, if forced to use the LMSR drivers, but I doubt that he would pick them in the first place. There are other drivers or combinations that result in a better natural response in a TH. There are few 12" drivers that will produce as much low bass as the LMSR's though and I picked them based on what was currently available (They weren't my first pick to try. Tom had actually recommended some to me in email.) and the particular characteristics of the DTS10 cab.

I think its great though for the persons who got the kits. Just add those drivers and wow. But for me who would have to buy the built version I would hope that changing the drivers would not yield anything more or atleast not much of anything more..
Basically the only thing that is gained by switching drivers is about 3-5db more peak output headroom in the very lowest bass frequencies below 25hz and very slightly lower distortion. There are numerous other tradeoffs in response, weight, cost, sensitivity, etc... It is only worthwhile if you are overdriving the DTS10 with the stock drivers. If not it is not worth the hassle.

I also wondered still is the DTS-10 everything the TH50 is but extends lower?

Just curious. I have only heard good things on both but dont really know anyone who has had or heard them both.
The TH50 is more powerful than the DTS10 at 20hz and above from everything I know and have experienced. It uses a very big and powerful 15" (MTX 9515-4) and the cab is slightly larger than the DTS-10 internally and it is tuned higher near 20hz instead of 14hz. Anytime you go for extra extension you sacrifice potential headroom higher up the frequency range. The natural response is slightly smoother on the TH50 too. It will not do what the dts10 will below 20hz though.

181 - 189 of 189 Posts