Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yellow again,
After I switched hyperboards, the picture on my set (57hdx82) appeared to be fine. Now for some resaon the picture looks to dark. I have a high definition cable box hooked up to colorstream 1 and a dvd player to colorstream 2 with component cables. Its the same in standard def as well as high def. The picture (in high def ) looks like it is real clear just darkish. I cleaned the lenses before my hyper repair. I tried turning the settings up in the menu for contrast and brightness but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. If I got into the service mode, are there settings in there that I could tweak to get my picture brighter again? Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Are they the same board? Perhaps the other board has bad caps as well. A dark pix is one of the symptoms we sometimes see. Could be that the boards are a slightly different version. Lots of possibilities here and I have no clear answer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they the same board? Perhaps the other board has bad caps as well. A dark pix is one of the symptoms we sometimes see. Could be that the boards are a slightly different version. Lots of possibilities here and I have no clear answer
Hi Icaillo,
Both hyperboards had the same sticker on it (MVPU14). The caps on the hyperboard I just put in could be going bad. The question is even though I have no zig-zag lines on my picture yet, would caps going bad on the hyper cause the picture to be dark? Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It could. Is this on all sources?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hooked up the dvd player with a movie and the picture was dark looking on colorstream 2 and video 1 & 2 . Also on colorstream 1 hooked up to cable HD box. So yes picture is dark looking on all sources!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Convergence will make the image look blurry or less detailed, and can have some affect on contrast, but in general if your image is washed out and dull the problem will be with other settings...contrast, brightness, gamma, etc.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't know why you should need to. Something is obviously not right with that board or you did something in the repair process if you had normal brightness before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the touch focus button on the front of the set and it came back with a touch focus error. Could those convergence IC's, if going bad could cause the picture to be dark, even if the convergence looks alright?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Icaillo, To be honest, I'm not sure now if the brightness was ok before I put this last hyperboard in or not. The wife (who watches it a lot more than me), said the picture wasn't right before I messed with the hyperboard. I can't remember now. I guess I got a few questions. I get the touch focus error. Does this mean my convergence chips are bad or going bad? My colors appear to line up ok. Would bad convergence chips cause my picture to be dark? Would a hypermodule going bad cause a dark picture?
Thanks for your time!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
As I said above, it might. This level of troubleshooting is probably beyond the scope of this forum, however. You will need to do some testing, probably requiring a scope, and certainly some research including studying the circuits in the service and/or training literature for the set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Followup: The picture is pretty much back to normal. I had to turn up G2 pots on the front of the set.
(moved them when troubleshooting set. Just moving them 1/16 of an inch made a big difference.). I think I got to do a 56 pt. convergence on this set now. Merry Christmas!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts