Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, I have 2 stacked THT subs in my living room right now. I love them to death (believe me these things have done more structural damage to my walls than I realized ;) ), but they are HUGE, meaning it's difficult to place them anywhere without them sticking out like a sore thumb....

NOW, I'm thinking of doing a pair of Dayton HO 15 inchers in ported boxes (was thinking of sonotubes but the HO's don't like to be downward firing)....

question one..... with two HO's and paired up with a EP4000 or an Inuke dsp 3000 will I come close to the output of the THT's ??? (I'm only powering both THT's with about 150 watts of power and -9 on my Onkyo 605 right now and It's absolutely frightening how much output I can get.... I personally wanna tune these at about 20hz and build them in two 6.0 cubic foot boxes.... of course this is gonna but a tad more expensive than the THT builds but I'm hoping that the lower profile will make speaker and sub placement easier and give me the output I need.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
NOW, I'm thinking of doing a pair of Dayton HO 15 inchers in ported boxes (was thinking of sonotubes but the HO's don't like to be downward firing)....
What makes you think they can't handle a down-firing alignment? Is that something from PE?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Told by whom? Was it someone knowledgeable? Just curious - it maybe indeed be true, but I've never heard that before.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Told by whom? Was it someone knowledgeable? Just curious - it maybe indeed be true, but I've never heard that before.
couple of the avsforum diy builders.. I'm not knowledgeable about such things enough to refute or collaborate the claim. I'm just going by what I was told.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I am sorry to say that two 15's ported will not equal the output of a pair of THT's. I am sure there maybe a way but I dont think it will happen. I had a THT and it took a pair of 15's to outperform the THT. And the pair of 15's had 10x's the wattage.

My experience tells me that I would need a pair of the same drivers at least to equal what a horn can do. For me I would want 2.5x's the displacement to equal the horn. YMMV

I will be going horned again but for outside. Indoor horns are a bit big.:D

The sag issue is a argument amongst some builders. Some say its fine and others say the driver will sag over time. Based on my experience you will be fine in any position. But I dont have a subwoofer that I have used for the past 10-20years down firing to tell me other wise.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry to say that two 15's ported will not equal the output of a pair of THT's. I am sure there maybe a way but I dont think it will happen. I had a THT and it took a pair of 15's to outperform the THT. And the pair of 15's had 10x's the wattage.

My experience tells me that I would need a pair of the same drivers at least to equal what a horn can do. For me I would want 2.5x's the displacement to equal the horn. YMMV

I will be going horned again but for outside. Indoor horns are a bit big.:D

The sag issue is a argument amongst some builders. Some say its fine and others say the driver will sag over time. Based on my experience you will be fine in any position. But I dont have a subwoofer that I have used for the past 10-20years down firing to tell me other wise.
hmmm, so it looks like I'm looking at quad 15's :D.....

although a pair will probably tide me over till I get another pair since I'm only using a fraction of what my THT
s can do (Like I said I have it set to -9 on the receiver and only 45% of the gain on a 300 watt bash amp for these THT's). my main problem is placement. I can only put them in ONE corner of the house due to the opposeite corner shaking uncontrollable from the vibrations of corner loading it and causing a nasty rattle. when I had to SVS PB-12's in that same corner I was loud as all get out but nowhere near as "visceral" as the THT is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts