Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mike,
Can you help me model out these two woofers SPL wise? When I loaded the parameters into winISD pro it gave me consistency error and wouldn't save. I have the Dayton HPSA1000 for power. Looking to replace my 2 12"s for 1 15". Sub $200 budget.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm at work and don't have time to check both in WINISD but I would imagine you would have a hard time getting 1 speaker for less than $200 to beat two 12s unless they're pretty mediocre 12s.

I think they're out of stock right now but for the price you might also look at the 18" MJ18 from Mach 5 Audio. They seem like a steal and when they get back in stock if I have the $155 laying around I plan on trying to pick up 1 or 2 to play with sometime.

MJ18

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I did some modeling of the 15" Titanic before I settled on a 12". I can't help with the HO, but I believe it is the small box version of the HF. It has considerably less Xmax than the Titanic.

The Titanic will work a little better in smaller vented boxes with less power than some of the more costly alternatives.

I don't know if you are planning vented or ported. In a small Ported box, the Titanic will use about 500W, 4 ft box and will tune around 25 Hz with around 116dB.

In a 10 ft box the Titanic will tune around 17Hz, produce about 115dB and use 250W. These are just ball park figures and they don't account for the effect of room gain, filters or fine tuning.

You can go a good bit smaller for the Titanic in a sealed box. SPL will be around 110+ depending on size. I don't think you will use more than 300W in a small sealed box.

If the Titanic isn't loud or low enough, you will need to get one of the more expensive drivers and start with a 5 ft, or larger box. You won't have any worries with a 1,000W amp.

You probably need to determine the type and size of the box, target SPL and F3 desired before you get any specific help.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Call me silly, but I like the Reference HF 15 better than the Titanic. It may not move as much air on the lows, but it should be just as strong in the music range and should be cleaner SQ wise. It's a pretty nice motor design for the cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've been research some more. My conclusion is:
Reference will would out better for me. I did not want to make a overly large enclosure. Reference works well in something near 5 ft. Reading parts express forums the Reference plays well with both music and HT. Con: there were a couple bad Reference subs that people on PE had in the past months...

The Titanic would have more output but needs a large enclosure. Does not play so well with music. Cost a lot more, unless you catch them on sale.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
So I've been research some more. My conclusion is:
Reference will would out better for me. I did not want to make a overly large enclosure. Reference works well in something near 5 ft. Reading parts express forums the Reference plays well with both music and HT. Con: there were a couple bad Reference subs that people on PE had in the past months...

The Titanic would have more output but needs a large enclosure. Does not play so well with music. Cost a lot more, unless you catch them on sale.
I hadn't heard about this. What was the deal?

How do you feel about a slot port? Can you do a slightly bigger box than 5ft? The HO 15 models a bit better in the smaller enclosures. 6.5 cu ft tuned to 18hz looks good with a pair of 4" ports or a folded slot port. Should be ok with 450w or a bit more. (Mike you wanna double check this?)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah the Dayton HF subs are supposed to be great for music. The Titanics on the other hand seem to be more for output as far as I can tell. I have built a 5cu ft box tuned to 20hz for my friends HF 12 and it sounds pretty good and will rattle the dishes in the kitchen when watching movies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts