Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have pretty much decided on a Dayton Audio 15. The HO requires a small box and when I model it in WinISD, it calls for a 3.25 CUFT box tuned to 25HZ. I have years of car audio experience but the tuning seems high for HT.

The HF seems to perform better at the lower frequencies but the box is going to be twice as large.

I am leaning towards the HO, but with the small box I am worried about performance. Any suggestions for the HO box, volume and tuning, will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Getting the most of any driver for a given application is a combination of box size, tuning frequency, amp power and sub sonic filter. Shown is the 390HO in 6 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz with two 4" flared ports 26 inches long and the Yung 500 watt amp that has a subsonic filter at 20 hz.

The drivers Xmax is never exceeded and the combination will produce 112 mto 114 db at 20 hz depending on how much room gain you get.

Here's the project file.

View attachment Cleveland 390HO.wpr

Text Line Technology Font Electronic device

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting the most of any driver for a given application is a combination of box size, tuning frequency, amp power and sub sonic filter. Shown is the 390HO in 6 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz with two 4" flared ports 26 inches long and the Yung 500 watt amp that has a subsonic filter at 20 hz.

The drivers Xmax is never exceeded and the combination will produce 112 mto 114 db at 20 hz depending on how much room gain you get.

Here's the project file.

View attachment 37905

View attachment 37904
Can I get away with using one 4 inch port?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ya, you'd get bad port noise below 30Hz with only one 4" port and your tuning. You might also consider a port tuning just above the amp's HPF cutoff of 20Hz, tuning at 21 or 22Hz would actually lower the f3. Such a small change probably wouldn't be audible, but it looks better on paper :)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Good deal, ClevelandFreeman. I think you will be very happy with this combination.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.