Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
From what I can find out, the SPA-500 has a HPF at 18hz with a Q of.707, is that correct?
Can someone correct me if I am wrong.
I am trying to model a Adire Audio Shiva 2 in WinISD.
Thanks.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
The amp determines the HPF setting, but the Q is derived from several other factors; alignment, driver parameters, internal net volume, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ho.
Ok.
I guess where I am going with this is:
When I model the BASH 300 with the stock settings (HP 17.7hz, Filter Q 1.0, Parametric Eq 27.7hz and 1db), that is the parameters I was looking to confirm for SPA 500.
First screen shot is modelling with the Bash 300 amp, stock settings.
As seen in the screen shot below, this is from Creative Sound Solutions web site, the SPA 500 is modeled with a HP of 18hz and a Q of .7.
Should I just go with that?
Or am I wrong in doing this.
Dave.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Going from memory, I thought the SPA500 was a 3rd order at 18Hz.

The Bash amps are better represented as a peaking 2nd order highpass ("User specified SOS" in WinISD) with fc of 17.7 and Q of 1.0, you can verify the 1dB of boost from 25-30Hz is also accounted for using that filter by looking at the EQ transfer function magnitude.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something, but... weren't you looking to model the Shiva 2? If so, why are you comparing it to the modeling for an SDX-12? They're two different drivers, so the modeling will be different as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Afternoon.
I guess that is where I am maybe causing some confusion.
You are correct, I am modeling a Shiva 2, and was using the CSS screen shot to question the HP filter.
I am assuming that if an amp has a HP filter at 18hz, does not matter the driver, that does not change, I do realize that modeling in WinIsd will change with different drivers, but when modeling and setting the filter in the Eq/Filter box, that does not change
For instance if modeling with a Bash 300:
The Bash amps are better represented as a peaking 2nd order highpass ("User specified SOS" in WinISD) with fc of 17.7 and Q of 1.0,
You create the filter and that stays constant, regardless of the driver used...........
Unless I am all wet, I thought that is how you modeled in WinISD.:scratch:
Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
You create the filter and that stays constant, regardless of the driver used
That's correct for active filters, yes. The SOS filter accurately reflects what's actually in the Bash amps, rather than mocking up a straight HPF with 1dB of EQ. There's a few good threads out there on this if you search around. See the manuf. data for the Bash here http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/installation-guides/300-750-bash-installation-guide.pdf, you can directly enter those values into WinISD with the SOS.

I don't know as much about the Dayton SPA HPFs to say the exact filtering used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts