Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This build is done using the Dayton Classic 15" subwoofer and the Dayton 240 watt plate amplifier off of parts-express.
I picked this driver and amp combination because it was cheap and I wanted a big sub.

"Finished" (needs 2 more paint layers):

Design was done by a fellow on caraudio.com. It is a 4 cubic foot enclosure with a 2.75" slot port, 20 hz tune or so.

This is the driver used plus yours truly. I am in fact no longer in college despite what the shirt says but with the recession i should be back there pretty soon.

Here is the plate amp on top of my behringer ep1500 that i use with the 4 mains. Its a 2 channel configuration with a front and rear each channel.

Cut wood, used home depot to cut most of it so i dont have to set up my saw. a lot of it was also cut with a basic saber saw which makes clean up easy too outdoors.

front baffle, with ultraflat krylon drying. I like how fast this paint dries (~10 minutes). there were a few more coats applied after this. This piece is pine plywood as are a few other misc pieces because I ran out of oak plywood, therefore I painted it black.

finally started gluing and clamping. I am not using any screws or nails in this project(besides for the sub and amp later), just titebondII. radial arm saw in background will be used for angled cuts eventually

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

close up on box vent detail.

I will likely add some dowel rods as additional bracing.

big carpentry clamps and about 120 lbs of plates stacked on top

most of the exterior finished

so far most of the joins line up, however there is one piece that is significantly too big. I will try and shave it down, but it needs to lose about a cm which will be difficult without any sanding tools.

a generous helping of the good stuff

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Looks great. Don't forget to post a review on how it sounds.....:T If you can post some graphs of how it performs that would be great also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's with the generic "college" shirt and a blurred out face?
Blurred face for privacy. College shirt is what I wear when I do these projects because it was a freebie I got from the university bookstore. I took the picture to give an idea of relative size.

More pictures:

This is a detail of the ventwork

Front (isn't glued in yet to their are some gaps hopefully glue + pipe clamp will straighten, also need to get a router)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Enclosure has been glued together and sealed. I used a lot of woodfiller, silicon, and titebond2... No one needs to know once its finished :). A lot of the joins didnt line up perfectly because I went cheap on the cuts. Freebie homedepot wall saw cuts and my little electric jigsaw for all of it. Never used my radial arm saw at all because clean up is a PITA.

14" diameter cutout was done using the jigsaw as well. I am getting really skilled at it, its almost as good as a router cut.

I sanded it down with 80 grit.

thats it for today. It looks like it should be in an ikea store right now with the sanded bare wood look.

Tomorrow: krylon ultraflat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To run the ep1500, Id need a LPF. Additionally, My receiver is a 1981 Realistic STA-2200 which I purchased for $10 from a rummage sale and fixed up significantly. However, it has some awful ground issues off of the rca's, possibly due to the fact that it only has a 2 prong plug. Therefore, to power the mains off the realistic I would risk getting a hum, whereas with the ep1500 I run 3.5mm stereo to xlr which apparently, while theoretically unbalanced, presents 0 hum at all. :nerd: If I ran the sub at the same time as the mains on the ep1500 Id blow the mains because they only handle about 150 watts a piece peak, whereas the sub needs about 250+ rms to sound good. Right now, the realistic occupies a shelf and looks pretty with its aluminum face and actually is not plugged into the system because the hum bothers me so much.

In conclusion, it just seemed easiest to buy a plate amplifier. :bigsmile:

With the nice winter weather here, I can't spray paint today. its about 32 degrees outside. Im gonna hook the sub up and see how it sounds today and paint it later. I figure the fumes arent a big issue because I will only have the speaker in for a short period and I really cant wait much longer :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Looks like a build of that av123 sub.

Realistic gear eh? You are not alone. I have a Realistic cassette player that never gets used but still occuppies a spot in my equipment racks because the brushed aluminum face plate looks nice, as you mentioned. Being limited to 2 channel stereo with that receiver (or does it offer the 4 obscure channel playback option?), that sub should do quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The realistic has a beautiful warm sound but I never use it because of the horrible grounding issues. I could probably fix the chassis ground and wire in a 3 prong cord at some point but for now it stays unused.

The sub is finished apart from the fumes. I will paint it eventually. It sounds quite good (to my untrained bass ears) but I really need a preamp. Picture:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Front Speakers Technics Sb-L71 from 1981 (5 years older than me) which I bought off craigslist for $45

Rear KLH Model 17's from 1965. I got these for $10. Rebuilt them with some Dayton capacitors and new grill cloth so they don't look like they are from 1965 lol.

left klh, a car audio sub (edit you can barely see a corner of it actually) (audiobahn aw1000t) and my realistic sta-2200 which I bought for $10.

Being an unemployed grad student who is stuck at home until the semester starts, my budget is nil. The aforementioned ep1500 I bought off craigslist from a dj for $135.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please post a review on how it sounds and freq response..... If you can post some graphs of how it performs that would be great also.

Thank you. :T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts