Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, One of my THT's that I bought from a some guy on another forum just kinda bit the dust (long story short he slapped it together and their was leaks that I couldn't detect till now as I've gotten better at finding them... all around, the cab, the woofer etc)... so I'm just gonna salvage the 15 DVC from the cabinet and the 300 watt Bash amp from my old SVS PB-10 ISD and build something nice and simple for the bedroom tv... thinking something sealed this time to save on space since all I need is something nice for tv and games, add some nice punch (luckily I paid only $150 for the whole THT at least me losing it isn't a horrible horrible thing)

I'm thinking with 300 watts a 6-7 cu foot enclosure would be good (although my QTC diminishes below .7 the higher I get my box size)... give me about 100 db at 20hz (hopefully) and won't break the budget on build products... these graphs look good or would you suggest different sized box?

(high pass filter of 19hz is already in the amp so that's already taken care of )

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just modeled it, there's 2 db difference at 20 hz between 4 and 7 cu.ft. with that amp. It boils down to what ever box size works best for you. If I remember correctly a 24" cube would be about 6 cu.ft. net volume to give you an idea on box size.
Kewl both sizes will fit. Is it a problem that the QTS is ,
.619 with a 7 cu ft box or should I stuff it a bit more?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 or 4 pounds of poly fill should do it, or a few cheap Walmart pillows which is the latest craze and much simpler. Just add the whole pillow, covering and all.
lol, kewl, I have 9 lbs of polyfill left over when I did my SEOS builds so I got plenty of that stuff to go around :D

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
whelp. here's my specs for it right now. gonna do a 24x24x24 inch cube....

the bracing I just guestimated on and did 2 full sheets worth of mdf in the center... that's obviously a bit overkill since I'll cut out holes from the mdf but it gets an idea

comes out to 6.38 cu feet when all is said and done... should be a good performer for a TV sub in the living room or bedroom.

Here's the calcs for the same driver just in a 10.15 cubic foot box tuned to 20 hz (amp has a 19hz hpf)

2 x 4 inch ports of 13.85 inches each

jumps me from 101 db at 20hz to 109.... might be worth the extra size. I can def fit it either way.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget room gain, the sealed would probably do 110 db at 20 hz in a bedroom.
yeah, that's one of the reasons I was still considering sealed vs. ported. for a tv sub I don't think I want to go a 10 cu ft box lol.... 6.5 gross is big enough as it lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts