Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I emailed Dayton for box specs for the Dayton 15 in MKIII. They told me 5.4 CUFT with a 4 inch port 13.25 inches long.

So I built the two cabinets super well with good bracing and the 4 inch port both being powered by a Crown XTI 4000 (one per channel) and I must say it sounds awful! I cant believe the sound. I have tried EQ'n them on an equalizer and still they sound awful. My Audiobahn 12 inches sound better in my home theater than the Daytons do. Check out the pic.

I need some help. I always hear how great the MKIII sounds and Im disappointed in its performance!

Thanks all!!

-Grant

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
What processor?

What crossover?

Any stuffing?

How spirited is the driver?

Have you tried using a different sub in place of the dayton without changing anything?

The amp could be questionable. Read up on chuck's testing of the XTI's. If I remember correctly, the bass output was nothing special- nothing against the amp itself, it just tested out that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,

I guess the speaker would not be awful, but totally against what I have heard. I dont get the body deep thick loud bass I have read about.

-I am using my Yamaha v663 7.1 receiver as processor then I take the 7.1 outputs to 4 McIntosh and Crown amplifiers for the surround sound and then the subwoofer output to the sub amp
-DBX 223xl crossover
-Alesis DEQ830 EQ
- I covered 3 walls with 6 inch fiber glass and threw in a piece of 6 inch fiber glass.
- The driver is really really moving, but lacks alot of output. I checked and they are in phase. It doesnt have the punch or clarity. Muffled and sloppy sounding.
- I have used other subs and do get a better result, but they are in different cabs so its hard to tell.
- I have heard the xti wasnt anything to special but it has good dampening factor and I use it for DJ'n bass and it works awesome so I though it should work good for this application since the MKIII are 800w RMS each.

Box demensions are 23.5x24.5x24.5 ...3/4" thickness

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi All,

I guess the speaker would not be awful, but totally against what I have heard. I dont get the body deep thick loud bass I have read about.

-I am using my Yamaha v663 7.1 receiver as processor then I take the 7.1 outputs to 4 McIntosh and Crown amplifiers for the surround sound and then the subwoofer output to the sub amp
-DBX 223xl crossover
-Alesis DEQ830 EQ
- I covered 3 walls with 6 inch fiber glass and threw in a piece of 6 inch fiber glass.
- The driver is really really moving, but lacks alot of output. I checked and they are in phase. It doesnt have the punch or clarity. Muffled and sloppy sounding.
- I have used other subs and do get a better result, but they are in different cabs so its hard to tell.
- I have heard the xti wasnt anything to special but it has good dampening factor and I use it for DJ'n bass and it works awesome so I though it should work good for this application since the MKIII are 800w RMS each.

Box demensions are 23.5x24.5x24.5 ...3/4" thickness

Thanks for the help!
Try hooking up your dj bass speakers through the current setup in place of the Dayton's. If it sounds better perfect, it is the driver/cbainets. If not, it is somewhere else.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also, it could have something to do with the settings in the processor. I would personally do some testing with test tones through the amp directly from a DVD/CD player. You will be able to see what it is doing directly from the source with minimal processing.

I will say, I got a new Processor back a few months ago and I am just getting things squared away with the adjustments/ settings. One wrong setting in that processor could ruin the whole thing. Try the test tones. Download them from the download pages on this site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was running a 40 hz tone and it sounded amazing! Now with the 40 hz tone I was impressed.

Has anyone used these speakers before? Arent they supposed to be a pretty good deep bass woofer? I bought them because of the numberous good reviews they got so I thought id try them.

Could it perhaps be the port? Last cabinet I made I took the manufacture recomm. and they sounded pretty rough... So I pulled the port and they sounded great!

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I will tell you based on my system alone. My LFE response is the same at low levels and just gets more and more just more of everything as you increase the input, but the feel is still there at the lowest levels. This leads me to wonder if you have something out of phase or set wrong. Try using just one of the drivers and just do the test tones and see what happens

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was running room wizard eq and at 40 HZ it is insane! At 40 hertz and 20 Ft back it is 109 db. Then when I go to 45hz-50hz it drops to about 92 db.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was running room wizard eq and at 40 HZ it is insane! At 40 hertz and 20 Ft back it is 109 db. Then when I go to 45hz-50hz it drops to about 92 db.
Did you run a sweep?

What about 10, 20, 30 and etc. Hz?

·
Registered
464 Posts
First thing I would do is a sweep and get a frequency response curve. What is the tuning of the system? Then see what kind of EQ is needed if any.

109 dB on the meter sounds like you are in the right ball park, and seems like there is a null in the setup like it is configured. You might have to place the cabs or cab in a different spot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The specs from Rich at Dayton was tune cabinet to 23 hz.

At 25 FT:
10 hz 82 db ( fan mode...I love this they subs just bounce :) )
20 hz 91 DB
30 hz 91 db
40 hz 105 db
50 hz 90.4 db
60 hz 92.8 db
70 hz 87.7 db
80 hz 84 db
90 hz 75 db
100 hz 76 db
110 hz 82 db
120 hz 79 db
130 hz 73 db
140 hz 76 db

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked and they are in phase. But as I walk through the room I hear many blank "dead spots". As the sweep takes place there are times when the volume really drops during the sweep...ie between 50 and 60 hz the sound comes and goes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. I am going to try moving those big things around. I know that moving them will improve sound coverage, but even when you enter the sound field, quality is still poor.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts