Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original plan of this build was to actually make two subwoofers utilizing the Dayton RSS390HO driver. After I got this first enclosure roughly together, I ended up just building one due to size restraints in the living area and pleasing the wife. When I started assembly I noticed something, a cardinal sin in subwoofer building had been committed without me even being aware of it.... when the guys pulled the MDF from the shelf at Home Depot, I didn't realize that 5/8" had been cut up until now! Ugghh!! So, I double-thicked the walls, making the enclosure larger than I'd originally planned. Including bracing and driver displacement, the internal volume of the enclosure is 2.6 cu ft. The actual finished box size is about 24"h x 18.5"w x 22"d (would be a tad smaller if single 3/4" MDF was used as I'd originally intended). The slot port is 1"h x 16.5"w x 44.25" long, tuned to 19hz. It exits on the top of the back wall, with the port itself shaped like a 'U' going down the back, and back up the same distance. The sub is being powered by a bridged Behringer EP1500 with an Elemental Designs EQ.2 taking care of the subsonic filter (set at ~20hz) and applying some EQing (currently a 3db boost around 25hz with a Q of 1). The system is also utilizing the EQ2 that the Onkyo SR606 receiver uses to equalize. The reason for using this woofer was its low distortion characteristics and ability to play low and loud in a relatively small box - with some minor EQ on the bottom end, so far I'm very impressed. More in a bit...

Here's some winisd screen shots of what the subs capable of.

Here's the cutsheet used, as well as a rough wireframe I used to help visualize the port and box design.

Here's the box assembled and filled.

I used Zinnser Cover Stain Primer/Sealant in a spray can to prime the box. Didn't get any pics of it, visualize a white box :) It covered really well with one good coat.

I used Rustoleum Hammered Black Universal spay paint to paint it. I should have researched how to apply this paint before trying it out. I attempted to use it outdoors and the wind caught it a few times causing uneven application. I found out after I'd done most of the box that it's best to apply this stuff in a controlled environment (no wind, not even a slight breeze), apply to the face of the box that is facing upwards and do one thick coat - as thick as possible without running. The more you apply, the more it loses it's hammered finish and just becomes a semi-gloss black. I also found that I should have filled in the sides better where they met the face. Oh well, before long they'll receive a veneer laminate (from parts express) to help hide those imperfections. The top and face turned out even, and that's really all you see in its final resting place.

I've been tweaking with the sound of this thing since I hooked it up Sunday. So far I've found it sounds best with the EP1500 at half gain, EQ2 on the Onkyo receiver applied with the Elemental Designs Eq.2 flat. Once that was completed I adjusted the ED Eq.2, bringing in a 3db boost @ 25 hz. I don't have any testing equipment yet, just the ears for now. I'm planning on picking up a meter and a BFD soon to really get it setup and tuned with a nice house curve.
So far I'm blown away with the depth and solid musical bass this thing produces. In our 3500 cu ft living room (counting how it opens to kitchen, dining, hallways), it delivers much deeper solid tones than I'm used to from the previous dual 10" commercial subs we had (an old '98 model cerwin-vega and the KEF that came with our satellites). We've watched a couple movies with it, and I played several action scenes and tweaked it watching them a few times over finally attaining those 'feel' notes without sounding boomy. Even watching TV, simple commercials and audio tracks finally have that added dimension that we'd been missing. I can't really imagine how two of these would have sound/felt, this really accomplishes what I was after with just one sub. Someday I may decide to swap out the Dayton woofer for a Mach 5 IXL-15.2.2 because it models pretty well in this same enclosure, but for now, I'm happy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations! I'm sure that is a rigid box double-boarding it...looks great...did you use a high pass filter, low pass filter to match with smaller sat speakers in photo...I too have small mains, and have my klf at 150 low pass...awesome job

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah the lowpass/highpass to the sub/sats is regulated through the onkyo receiver. The sub is seeing <90hz, and the fronts/center sats are seeing >60hz. Where they're placed within the TV cabinet helps to amplify/create more bass than the rears. The rears are crossed over at 90hz. Surprisingly, these lil KEF 'eggs' carry quite a bit of midbass in a fairly small package.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's great news...hope you don't mind the questions, but I run an Onkyo as well and was wondering if the subwoofer preamp out had enough signal strength to the EP1500...I guess it does well if you have it around half-gain...so I may have answered my own question...I also am modeling Mach speakers for a home theater with 80% home theater/tv and 20% music...but was thinking I'll need a line driver between the Onkyo sub out and an EP XXXX someday... :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, well I had the sub hooked up minus the elemental designs eq.2 to test it before i applied the finish to it, and had the ep1500 subsonic filter on at 30hz. Once I hooked up the eq.2 inline to the ep1500 and turned off the 30hz filter on the ep1500, I noticed that with the eq.2 at full gain, I was having to increase the onkyo subwoofer out about 6db over the previous setting and turn the gain up about 4 'clicks' (to center) on the volume on the ep1500. It all worked out, but with the eq.2 inline, it actually 'takes up' some of that input voltage, because it only outputs 2.5v with its gain all the way up. I talked to elemental designs about this before ordering, and they informed me that I would be fine with the ep1500...but had I had a crown amp, or another pro amp that really liked higher input voltage (over 3.5v) then the eq.2 wouldnt work well for me. They were right, all is well!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike, and thanks for the heads up, I'll move it and the tv cabinet out another couple inches tonight. I'd planned on building a grille for it, if I decide to just flip the cabinet around and fire the sub towards the wall and face the port forward, does that same 4" out rule apply to the woofer if it's rearward facing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah ok good deal. It's an old 55" Sony 1080i rear projection LCD. I made the mistake of buyin it about 6 months before 1080p TVs came out. It's not as sharp as a plasma or flatpanel LCDs, but to me it looks more like a movie projector as far as color quality goes, so I really like it for movies.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I just ordered a Samsung 55" LED LCD from Sears (sight unseen) to replace a 40" Sony. From looking at your setup it's going to be big!
Regarding your original plan for 2 subs, you can always tell your wife another sub on the other side will make it look "aesthetically balanced". :bigsmile:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah you'll love that samsung LED, they're really nice sets. I hope someday we can upgrade this one to something similar.

I'd love to build another sub! I'd actually bought the 2nd woofer and decided to send it back when the wife was FURIOUS with me about the box size haha... and the output testing this first one was enough for me for now. If I do decide to go with a 2nd one, I think I'd be more inclined to build two smaller sealed cubes and order another one of these drivers and just EQ them a bit more. I think she'd be ok with a 2nd sub as long as the footprint was smaller than this one is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.