Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I have been curious about for many years but so far no one has been able to provide a good answer. Seems like a pretty simple question,....how does volume level affect a crossover point. I mean if I have some small, sealed, two way bookshelf speakers with a frequency response of 85Hz - 20 kHz +- 3dB, 2.83V @ 1 meter and I set them as large, no sub,... what happens? If I play music at very low dB does it make any difference what frequency range the speaker can produce vs. the frequency range at reference level? Or does this speaker (in general) reproduce 85Hz - 20 kHz no matter the volume level? Or, does it depend on the internal crossover and what the designer did to prevent damage to the speaker?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I suspected, no effect on the crossover. So aside from being fused, is there any other protection inside the speaker? Tony, you say it will simply prevent low frequencies from getting there? Where then does that energy go? :scratchhead: Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I usually play these at very low volume, broke out the RS meter and average volume is about 60 - 62 dB. They sound better when set to large and I have no fear of damaging these speakers using them in this manner. And yes, there is a sub for the occasional need to increase the volume. :T

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So,.. to revive this old topic :)

These speakers really do sound better (to my ears) set to large also using a sub. So what is the bottom line? I really don't play them very loud so I have no fear of damage from that standpoint. The heat thing does make me curious. With these being a sealed design there is no fresh air,... is it possible to overheat the crossover?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts