Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a bunch of reading on these units, and really like the looks of the DCX2496 for its speaker management abilities. But I can't find much info on the parametric and band pass eq abilities. Does this have 1/60 octave para eq like the BFD and FBQ?

My goal is to be able to take a two channel input, and split it into three (or four) outputs, that way I can high pass and eq my mains, and low pass and eq the sub separately without one effecting the other. Nice features on the DCX but for the additional money, I could buy an FBQ and a BFD. Hmmmmm...

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I saw that in the specs...a Q of 0.1 - 10.0, found a formula for that and if I calculated correctly thats about 1/8 octive at the narrowest. Pretty narrow but a far cry from the (admittedly overkill of ) 1/60 of some of the other units

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
I have done a bunch of reading on these units, and really like the looks of the DCX2496 for its speaker management abilities. But I can't find much info on the parametric and band pass eq abilities. Does this have 1/60 octave para eq like the BFD and FBQ?
The BFD's 1/60-octave capability is actually a double feature (for lack of a better term).

It has 1/60-octave resolution on the frequency scale (e.g. 60 stops between say, 50-100 Hz), and also on the bandwidth scale (i.e. between the narrowest filter and a 1-octave filter, and between a 1-octave and 2-octave filter).

By comparison, the FBQ also has 1/60-octave resolution on the frequency scale, but not on the bandwidth scale, where its resolution significantly decreases at wider filter settings.

This might be something to take into account for subwoofer equalizing. Typical subwoofer equalizing requires filter bandwidths between ~1/8-1/3 octave. In that range, the BFD has 14 available settings, while the FBQ only has five. As you can see, the BFD is capable of more precise and accurate filter settings. Overkill? Perhaps. But surgical precision is what a parametric EQ is all about, is it not?

I don't know if the DCX's EQ settings are the same as the FBQ, but as least now you have some guidelines for determining how capable it is.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply. I ended up stumbling upon a BFD for $45 in good shape, made some adaptors to convert to the TRS 1/4" last night and am up and running now. Pretty easy to use, really...I don't think i'll ever go to the trouble of hooking a MIDI cable up to link with REW..I like the hands on approach. I really wish there was a unit just like the BFD, low cost but three channels (two input and three out).

I wish to high pass the mains without affecting the sub. Also wish to smooth out the 80-150 Hz region and will need to boost part of that for the mains, as my mains roll off in that area. I may just end up with two BFDs, stacked...or a BFD for sub and FBQ for mains.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I really wish there was a unit just like the BFD, low cost but three channels (two input and three out).
There is ......
I wish to high pass the mains without affecting the sub. Also wish to smooth out the 80-150 Hz region and will need to boost part of that for the mains, as my mains roll off in that area. I may just end up with two BFDs, stacked...or a BFD for sub and FBQ for mains.
psst :newspaper: ..it's called the DCX!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
true. Really the entire brand name we are talking about here sells a low cost alternative to other "premium" brands. I don't mind paying as long as I know I"m getting what I want.

after playing with the BFD today, I gotta say I wouldn't want to give up much on how narrow the bandwidth will go. Just getting started, I'm using a 3/60 bandwidth eq...and expect to probably need even narrower eventually. Now, one could argue that if there's a peak or valley that narrow that you can't hear it, which in some cases may be true. All I know is on REW, what i'm correcting looks like something that needs to be fixed unless I use the 1/3 octave smoothing. Also, I can hear the peaks/valleys during the sweep.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
after playing with the BFD today, I gotta say I wouldn't want to give up much on how narrow the bandwidth will go.
I think you may have misunderstood. Assuming that the DCX's EQ is like the FBQ (and it's just that - an assumption; I have no idea) there is no problem with narrow filters. It's with wider filters that it's less capable.

Just getting started, I'm using a 3/60 bandwidth eq...and expect to probably need even narrower eventually. Now, one could argue that if there's a peak or valley that narrow that you can't hear it, which in some cases may be true. All I know is on REW, what i'm correcting looks like something that needs to be fixed unless I use the 1/3 octave smoothing. Also, I can hear the peaks/valleys during the sweep.
I have a hard time believing you can actually hear a 1/60-octave or narrower peak. Typically peaks that narrow are not severe and can/should be ignored; indeed, many times they're not really peaks at all, but merely comb filtering.

The object of equalizing is not to create a perfect graph. Ultimately it's to improve sound quality, and you don't need razor-sharp filters to accomplish that, as typically the most audible problems are broad and/or deep deviations in response.

I suggest taking the time to peruse my minimal EQ article. You can find a link in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think you may have misunderstood. Assuming that the DCX's EQ is like the FBQ (and it's just that - an assumption; I have no idea) there is no problem with narrow filters. It's with wider filters that it's less capable.
The DCX's bandwidth range in different, and is listed in Q which requires conversion with a formula in order to be expressed in relation to octaves (see my post above), the narrow end of this range is at about 1/8 octave. I agree 1//60 is probably narrower than needed but i'm just getting started and have already fixed a nasty peak I could easilly hear using the 3/60 setting, so I wouldn't want the NARROWEST width available to be wider than that.

The FBQ's minimum bandwidth is 1/60 just like the BFD.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

Well, I can see that if it's a "nasty peak," meaning (I assume) that it's really severe, an ultra-narrow filter like that would be needed simply to minimize the filter "bleeding" into areas on either side of it where there is no problem - if that makes sense. This is because of a filter's natural tendency to spread wider and wider as gain changes increase.

So - I guess you'll be adding a BFD dedicated to the Subs... :D

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You can split the sub signal leaving the receiver and feed both channels of the BFD, then feed the two subs with the two channels of the BFD, then each sub can have it's own set of filters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks guys. I tried the splitter at the receiver's "sub out" and it sounded pretty bad. Measurements confirmed that from 30 - 15hz, the FR dropped 15dB pretty quickly. I am powering dual sealed TC2000 15's with a Behringer EP2500. I assume it just doesn't have enough power to bring up the low end on dual TC drivers? Once I switch back to bridged mode and run one sub, it's beautiful. I know they are power hungry suckers, so...

I will using one cable and splitter at the amps connection instead. Thank you both.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

Spitting the signal will effect only its level. It will have no effect on frequency response. You probably didn't have something downstream set up right - like mismatched filters in the two BFD channels, some setting on the amp, etc.

Also, if you're using a single EP2500 for the two subs, you don't need a splitter at all. You can set the amp to "parallel" mode and drive both outputs with either input.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
199 Posts
Spitting the signal will effect only its level. It will have no effect on frequency response. You probably didn't have something downstream set up right - like mismatched filters in the two BFD channels, some setting on the amp, etc.

Also, if you're using a single EP2500 for the two subs, you don't need a splitter at all. You can set the amp to "parallel" mode and drive both outputs with either input.

Regards,
Wayne
You know what, I may have forgotten to switch the EP2500 to parallel mode. DOH! I think I left it set to stereo. What is the difference?

So how would I not need a splitter from the amp to the receiver's subwoofer out? I still have two cables going from the amp to the receiver's one subwoofer output. Can I connect one subwoofer to the receiver's subwoofer out and another to the receiver's preout?

I will give it a go again. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

You know what, I may have forgotten to switch the EP2500 to parallel mode. DOH! I think I left it set to stereo. What is the difference?
Well, I assume you know that stereo mode is. With parallel mode, a speaker is connected to each channel as with stereo, but you only need a single input signal to one channel, not both. It works the same as if you used a splitter - which basically sends the same signal to both inputs - only the amplifier does the "split" internally. Make sense? Page 7 of the EP2500 manual tells how to configure the amp for parallel mode.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, I assume you know that stereo mode is. With parallel mode, a speaker is connected to each channel as with stereo, but you only need a single input signal to one channel, not both. It works the same as if you used a splitter - which basically sends the same signal to both inputs - only the amplifier does the "split" internally. Make sense? Page 7 of the EP2500 manual tells how to configure the amp for parallel mode.

Regards,
Wayne
Ah yes, that does make sense. Very cool! So I assume bridged mode will not work with it setup this way?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts