Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a Velodyne DD-15 in a 5000 cuft room. I'm considering a DIY upgrade with either a SoundSplinter RLP-15 or TC2000 driver in an optimum sized sealed enclosure. I'm also considering the RLS-15 or TC 54000, but haven't seen much user feedback on these drivers.

Assuming I build a proper box and use appropriate amps and room EQ with one of these drivers, what can I expect relative to the DD-15? I'm hoping for a significant bump in LF dynamics for movies, but I'm concerned about a drop in SQ for music. The DD-15 is excellent at resolving low frequency detail and timbre subleties, but it seems to be somewhat lacking in slam.

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well now you can forget about the 2000 and 5400. :yes:

Could you bump your box size a bit? If so, the Rl-p 18 would be a good choice, but the Rl-p 15s would be great as well.You'll get better LFE dynamics for sure, but you shouldn't notice a drop in SQ.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Willy,

Thanks for the reply.

Bumping the box size is not a big deal...I'm willing to go with 10 cuft for the rl-s15, so 7 cuft for the rl-p18 is fine.

I'm curious what you're basing the SQ comment on? The DD-15 has excellent SQ because of servo control. I was under the impression that non-servo subs had not reached that level of accuracy yet, but I was holding out hope for the rl-s15 or 5400 (oops, there's that TC slip again :duh:).

Also for a sealed box, is SF or DF mounting better?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I think the TC's have been re-priced lately and are quite a bit more expensive...

I'm willing to go with 10 cuft for the rl-s15
My understanding is that the RL-S15 is made for small sealed car applications. I think the P series is more popular for HT use. Others can verify this....

brucek

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Darrell and welcome to the Shack!

Looks like you have two threads on this subject. I've deleted the other and we'll move this to DIY Subwoofers for now. If you go with the SoundSplinter then we can move it back or you can start a new thread. :T

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Soundsplinter's website for the rl-s15 lists separate optimal sealed volumes for car (5 cuft) and home (10 cuft). Is there something other than recommended volume that makes the rl-s15 more suited for car applications?

Thanks,
Darrell

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rls15_subwoofer_information.html
I don't know that it makes it more suited to car applications, but the Sound Splinter Supreme series drivers have a very high Qts, which results in it being very difficult to get a moderate or low Qtc subwoofer using this driver (which is generally what you want in an HT subwoofer). This results in a pretty peaky frequency response and a very sharp low end roll-off. Vented it seems to want a very small box for a given tuning frequency which results in a vent length that is going to be too big for to be contained in a box. This driver might work well with some passive radiators. Of course it is still pretty peaky at around 40 Hz no matter what you do with it.

I think that Mike at Sound Splinter had mentioned something about revising the Supreme series drivers at some point to bring the Qts down. IMO if this driver had a lower Qts it would probably be one of the best subs for DIYers looking to huge output and great SQ with it's linear motor and 38.5 mm Xmax. Of course it needs a lot of power with it's 82.8 dB sensitivity.

Have you looked at the CSS SDX15 driver?

www.creativesound.ca

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. So will a large sealed box (10 cuft ?) and EQ be enough to smooth the FR problems caused by the RL-S15's high qts? Is the low efficiency also related to the high qts?

How about the 18" TC 5400 (ignoring price)? Does it have the same FR issues?

Thanks again,
Darrell

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
With enough EQ you can do a lot, but IMO, if you are looking for the best SQ one of your priorities should be getting the best natural frequency response possible.

The 5400 doesn't have the same issues. Of course, you're probably going to pay 4 times the price of the RL-s15 for a 18" TC-5400 (which I know you said to ignore).

It sounds like you're looking for a driver with a linear motor. The CSS SDX15 has an XBL^2 motor, which is a linear motor and 30 mm of Xmax which is pretty substantial. It's a pretty similar driver to the old Adire Tumult.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geoff,

What's your recommendation for box type and size for the SDX15 to maximize its SQ?

Is there anyone else that has experience with a Velodyne DD series and a CSS SDX15 based sub that can comment on their SQ differences?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Darrell
Your saying you want to upgrade from a DD 15 to another 15 inch driver. I wonder if using the same diameter driver will be enough to make a noticable difference in SQ. I would be inclined to bump up the total SD, say by using a good 18 incher with a linear motor or two 15's (Each driver will then be working less hard)and then use them in a low Q Alignment.?? I admit box size(s) are gonna be large.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Just FYI, the LMS-5400 may not be available any longer according to TC's website.

"TC Sounds online drivers are being discontinued. We have only a few left, and once they are gone, they are gone. We will however support and service all of these drivers indefinitely as TC Sounds is not going away. The remaining drivers being sold at a discount will carry a 1 year warranty. TC Sounds will be launching a brand new line of drivers shortly but they will not be sold online."

I assume that they'll be going the dealer route, but it is unknown how long that will take, or what the new line of drivers will actually be (perhaps the LMS-4100 in some form).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi,

I currently have a Velodyne DD-15 in a 5000 cuft room. I'm considering a DIY upgrade with either a SoundSplinter RLP-15 or TC2000 driver in an optimum sized sealed enclosure. I'm also considering the RLS-15 or TC 54000, but haven't seen much user feedback on these drivers.

Assuming I build a proper box and use appropriate amps and room EQ with one of these drivers, what can I expect relative to the DD-15? I'm hoping for a significant bump in LF dynamics for movies, but I'm concerned about a drop in SQ for music. The DD-15 is excellent at resolving low frequency detail and timbre subleties, but it seems to be somewhat lacking in slam.

Thanks,
Darrell
Darrell,

Before adding equipment, I'd like to ask if you time aligned your sub based on REW or other similar software.

My reasoning is that some of the dynamics that you sense that you're missing may in fact be due to cancellations between the subwoofer and your other speakers at and around your crossover frequencies.

Plus and I mean a big plus is that with REW you can see what your speakers are individually doing and put you on the right track for fixing audio problems.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Geoff, I'm definitely leaning towards the SDX15 now. I'm also following the results and feedback from your dual SDX15 project.

Jason, if I change subs, I plan build two boxes with one or two 15s per box.

Jeff, the DD-15 has built-in RTA and parametric EQ, but you're right, there's probably things I can do to improve my current situation without changing subs. I'm going to first purchase the ETF room measurement tool to experiment with speaker/sub placement and also room treatments.

Thanks,
Darrell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts