Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the Dead Vent articles I've read seem to be exclusively focused on cooling a room. I live in an area where it drops to -40 in the winter and can occasionally get up to 30C in the summer so we need both heating and cooling. It would seem a dead vent for supply and return may not be sufficient to heat a room in the really cold months. The room in question has 2 6" supply lines and one cold air return. I was wondering if it would be sufficient to use 6" flexi duct on the supply lines and insulate around them and then use a dead vent for the return. Will I be compromising soundproofing to a great degree?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what would be the best way to accomplish the changes within the confines of 16 X 12" joist cavities keeping in nind that I also need room for insulation. I don't think a 12" flex duct would fit. I was under the impression that the curves in the flexiduct caused the soundwaves to bounce off the walls of the duct which are absorbing fiberglass and thus absorbed sound. Have I been misled?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there is 6" flexi duct which I assume will have an outside diameter of 8 or 9 inches. That should fit in the joist spaces and still allow a little curvature and leave room to place a 4-inch layer of insulation on one side of the duct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts