Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was recently given an old cassette tape to digitize containing a "sentimental value" recording. While monitoring, I could hear that the tape had stretched over time, so the pitching was off a little. The client didn't want any restoration done, just digitization along with burning to CD, so I didn't do anything about it (apart from archiving the file in case he changes his mind!), but I've been wondering how I would go about restoring it if necessary. I'd imagine the tape hasn't stretched uniformly, so applying a global timestretch/pitch shift probably wouldn't be too successful. Is there any easy way of going about this kind of work? It's a solo vocal with no backing whatsoever, which could simplify things a bit...

What would you do? :dontknow:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't thought of that - thanks! I'm using Wavelab, and I wasn't thinking in terms of bars/beats because this seems to have been done a tempo. Also, warping wouldn't correct the pitch simultaneously, would it? I mean, that's the whole point AFAIK - timestretching without pitchshifting, right?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I feared then - a fair bit of work however I do it :scratch:

It just means I won't volunteer to do it, and that if he requests it I'll let him know it won't be particularly cheap...:no:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some great ideas here... thanks! :clap:

@Nick - thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.

@Neil - I use Cubase, so no great difference there! As you say, no magic tool...

@Tim - "you would need to adjust the pitch and the time to the same amount to get to a correct restoration" - that's why I'd been hoping there was some "automatic" method ;) The tape in question is a consumer cassette job, so no bias frequencies or anything like that (not that I'd know what to do with a pro tape machine if I ever got the opportunity to use one :dumbcrazy:)

Cheers all :T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts