Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna build a sonosub! I have a crown cs2000 and a bfd on the way. I have steered away from ib
(wife wasn't happy about cutting the ceiling). So far i'm looking at 320L, 24" dia. 14.5 htz tune (per steve). any other suggestions? my driver, as of right now will be a css sdx15 or a tc2000 15. or would I be better with an 18". like ficar or mach5? if 15 is best, then is the sdx a better driver? both are the same price delivered until monday. I'm ordering tomorrow. what benefits would I get with an 18 over a 15? :scratch: I know I know, I have alot of questions but I want to do it right.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you don't mind the price and enclosure size increase, I'd definitely go with an 18". You'd be going from 320 effective liters to 650 though, it's a respectable difference :bigsmile:

As for the 15s, the SDX uses XBL^2, a low distortion motor technology, and should have lower inductance than the TC. Looking at Ilkka's measurements, the high inductance of the TC is its glaring weakpoint, causing a rise in distortion above 60hz.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind the price and enclosure size increase, I'd definitely go with an 18". You'd be going from 320 effective liters to 650 though, it's a respectable difference :bigsmile:

As for the 15s, the SDX uses XBL^2, a low distortion motor technology, and should have lower inductance than the TC. Looking at Ilkka's measurements, the high inductance of the TC is its glaring weakpoint, causing a rise in distortion above 60hz.
Wow! thats a big size difference steve. I think the 15 will suffice. Since I'm gonna have some sonotube left over, Maybe i'll add another 15 down the line. I guess the search for some sonotube is on!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I found some sonotube by the foot here in houston(white cap const.). 7.50 a foot, 35 bucks for the 24 by 50"!
That'll work. Hey steve, I have a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood, would that work? This way I could stain it. Oh, the sdx15 is on it's way. I hope this thing will outdo my hsu 3.3 and svs 25-31.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, is it possible for me to use 4" or 8" instead of 6? the only 6 i've been able to find here seems too heavy. It's around 20#. I did a cutout in the top recess and even though it is tight, I think that no matter what glue I use the port will come loose. the 6" i have is industrial grade pvc 1/4" thick. Is there a way to use this or should I rethink this? Home depot has 4" pvc and 8" sono but no 6".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can't find 6" sonotube or 6" pvc? :scratch: Try looking for "Quick-Crete" tubes at your Lowes or Home Depot, it's the same as Sonotube, and should be readily found in 6" diameter.
I've checked all home depot and lowes stores in my area and none carry 6" sonotube (quiktube) or 6" pvc (normal thickness) only 8" sono and 4" pvc. I take it 4" will not work.
the const. supply co. did not have any either. maybe i'll contact them today to see if I can order some.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woo Hoo, Whitecap const. came through. 2 27" pcs. of 6" for 8 bucks (in case I decide to do 2). they had to order it. It came in at 11 today. Sat. is build day.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Won't be long now. You'll soon find those previously mentioned commercial subs to be nothing more than children's toys :T

If you didn't already seal in the top cap, and didn't flush mount the port to the very top of the top cap, you would benefit from creating a roundover to act as a flare.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey another sono build!.. nice to see and looking good.
You'll soon find those previously mentioned commercial subs to be nothing more than children's toys
:shh: Hey Steve. Yeah if a guy has the space and inclination to build one, it's quite the sub! So what driver was finally decided upon?.. SDX?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I already flush mounted it. will this be a bad thing? should I redo it? I have another 6" piece.
If it's just a small deal I won't sweat it.
Im gonna install the wire lugs and wrap the port today, I'm still waiting on the driver.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts