Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I thought he wasn't totally sure?.. bottom or clip? I guess he figured it out then. Yuh think the SDX can handle 2000? Maybe I'll put 2000 to it when I put it in the sealed enclosure temporarily and see how it does before I change back to LLT. Thanks for chimmeing in Steve.

Yeah, I just found a post in the big testing thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/35803-post179.html

Well actually we did bottom out the LLT while taking the compression sweeps... That happened around 30 Hz and 113 dB level (RMS).

edit: Further research showed that it didn't bottom. It was the amp that clipped.
And I don't see why the SDX couldn't easily handle that 2000W amp, so I'd agree with Steve.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Ilkka actually didn't bottom the driver, he clipped the amp. 2000 watts should be fine, go for bridged.
Yes that is correct. Initially I thought that I had bottomed it, but after some research, I found out that it wasn't the case. The amp clipped instead and there was also some so-called soft bottoming, meaning the upper surround was reaching its maximum excursion, which occurs as some extra noise from the driver. Though the sound isn't nearly as bad as when a true hard bottoming happens (VC hits the back plate).

And I agree with Steve's recommendation - go for bridged.

·
Registered
291 Posts
And I don't see why the SDX couldn't easily handle that 2000W amp, so I'd agree with Steve.
I know I've seen it stated, but it's more than I'm used to using. Thinking about it though (Tum replacement) I guess it makes sense.:whistling:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, I hooked it all up.................... this is so real! I didn't think my 2 subs could be outdone so well. 1rst test was pulse (you know the scene). 121 dbs at 1m. 3/4 volume on the crown, 70 on the onkyo,and -0 sub vol. no eq. hulk chapter 23 and smokin aces chapter 14, man my wife is gonna kill me. when we watch a scary movie she already sceams. whew! all this for less than half of the hsu. As soon as i can figure this stupid bfd out I'll dial it in and graph it. Oh, my friend john (the guy in the pic) did the seam, and helped with the rest of the build. I already pulled the svs and hsu out of the room. will be selling the hsu soon.

A big thanks to SteveCallas for the design and help along the way. and thanks to steve nn for all your help also.

complete and in it's new home. (notice any other subs?)

·
Registered
291 Posts
That really looks good sitting in the corner. Great job and am very glad your so happy with what you built with your own hands. Thank you for the kind words, I learned something myself regarding the SDX.
this is so real! I didn't think my 2 subs could be outdone so well.
It's one thing to know, it's another matter to really know what you know:yes: Congrats!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Glad you like it :T Those other subs just have too many constraints to be able to effectively compete at this level. In all seriousness, due to their popularity, you could probably find buyers for them and have more than enough to build a second LLT if you so desired.

Now let's talk about those wall-mounted bookshelf mains.....:devil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Glad you like it :T Those other subs just have too many constraints to be able to effectively compete at this level. In all seriousness, due to their popularity, you could probably find buyers for them and have more than enough to build a second LLT if you so desired.

Now let's talk about those wall-mounted bookshelf mains.....:devil:
Yeah, they're polk rti6's and work quite well. for the price I paid they couldn't be beat at the time. they go well w/ the lsic center and the fxi5 srrounds.Oh and I don't see a need (yet) for any more than what I just built, my ears are still ringing.:yay:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well that looks like it turned out really well......
Now that you have had it going for a bit longer.... Any more thoughts, Impressions. or have you gotten to any more measurements...
So far Iam very impressed. this baby waaayyy outperforms my other 2 together(one of which I have for sale here in the classifieds). Not saying that hsu and svs don't make excellent "small" subs, It's just that this monster I just built is in a different class all together. I have since measured from 16 thru 100 htz and have eq'd slightly to get a fairly flat response. My friend john (the one in the pic) and I will begin his soon. We may do his horizontally like ilkka's 2 x 15 but the same thing as mine.1-15 24" x 50 tuned to 14.5.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well I think I may just head in this direction, as 2 - 320l boxes are much bigger then I was expecting, almost double the size of my SVS-PB12/2 and I want that low tuning.... So Sonosub - here I come...

How do I figure out what size amp to use....
Im just getting my brain wrapped around WinISD... I haven't figured out how to do the modeling to get xmax with a certain amount of amp power...

I was considering getting a QSC 3602. which I would imagine would give me plenty of head room, Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it... right...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well I think I may just head in this direction, as 2 - 320l boxes are much bigger then I was expecting, almost double the size of my SVS-PB12/2 and I want that low tuning.... So Sonosub - here I come...

How do I figure out what size amp to use....
Im just getting my brain wrapped around WinISD... I haven't figured out how to do the modeling to get xmax with a certain amount of amp power...

I was considering getting a QSC 3602. which I would imagine would give me plenty of head room, Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it... right...
I think amp size would be driver dependant. the qsc is mighty expensive, you could get 4 ep2500's for the same price. And you would only need 2.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts