Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much research through many of the helpful threads here, I decided to go with Wilsonart Designer White Laminate. I am going with a 110" diag screen. I want a simple mounting system and framing system.

I am leaning towards putting it up right on the wall, rather than building a frame. Is there a downside to this? I am worried about the center of the screen pulling away from the wall. Is there a method of how to work my way around the screen? Is it ok to start in a corner, and work my way across the top, and then down the sides? Is it better to start in the top middle, and work outwards to each side equally?

As far as the black border goes, I plan on building a simple velvet wrapped frame at some point.. it may not be right away. Am I better off building my screen 2-3 inches larger on each side and putting the frame right on top of the screen? I am thinking that way, I can hide the the screws or mirror frames (I am not sure which way I am going to put up the screen yet). Is it easier to make the screen the proper size, and put the frame directly on the wall around the screen vs the way I described earlier?

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Greg it's always better to go a little bigger and be able to cover it with the border than go too small and have a gap.

Most projectors are very flexible in their placement and ability to compensate for throw distance and other variables, but sometimes they don't line up 100%, so having the option to compensate for that is always better than wishing you had that option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also just bought a 10x5 ft DW Laminate and am trying to figure out the best way to hang and frame. My HT is light controlled and unfinished, just drywall at this point. I was also thinking of just screwing it into the wall and had bascially the same question. I did pick up some black velvet and was planning on framing it by just gluing the fabric strips around the perimeter. It's definitely not as classy as some, but can anyone think of anything that could go wrong with that? Is there any advantage to having your frame stick out from the screen? If it matters, it's an Epson Powerlite 720p shelf mounted 14 ft from the screen, pitch black room, unpainted drywall for walls, and conrete floor. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My DW is installed. I just screwed it into the wall. Then I cut and rolled up black velvet to make a frame. Looks professional with a movie running and sloppy with the lights on. I'll probably straighten it up eventually. I also upgraded to Powerlite 1080p. Wow.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My DW is installed. I just screwed it into the wall. Then I cut and rolled up black velvet to make a frame. Looks professional with a movie running and sloppy with the lights on. I'll probably straighten it up eventually. I also upgraded to Powerlite 1080p. Wow.
Welcome to the Shack and welcome to the world of projectors!

Your life will never be the same now! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts