Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan:

I have an existing cabinet that is roughly 7ft3 (can be modified slightly up or down from that size). I have a cut-out for a 15" driver already. I can fit a second 15" driver beside the first or can go with one 18". Want to complete project over the next 2-3 weekends.

Note: drivers will be mounted in a down firing position. Power supplied by Crown xls2500 (1550 8ohm bridged or 2500 4ohm bridged)

Need a push towards which driver(s) for a sealed configuration, HT use only. Here's where I'm leaning.

2-Dayton Titanics ($400)
2-Sundown SA-15's ($470)
2-Fi Q15's ($608)

1-Fi SP418 ($494)
1-Sundown Z v.3 18 ($550)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Mike. They all model similarly.
Is it risky to mount an 18" driver bottom firing because of the weight? Even though the Titanic is the least expensive I worry about it modeling close to xmax from about 25hz down. The SA-15's look promising.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Most drivers can be mounted down firing. Skip the Fi Q, it has a high Le and doesn't do well in sealed. Have a look at Josh's Data-Bass for drivers that have been tested. Click on any driver on the left for a report on how it performs.

http://www.data-bass.com/drivers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't realize the UXL was in stock. Looks like it models well in my enclosure. I can stretch the cabinet internal volume to 7.5 ft3. Looks like the UXL with a slot port can easily handle 1500-2000 watts in that size enclosure. If I go sealed I may need to add some square foot wooden blocks to take up space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.