Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a little off topic but I thought I would ask here anyway. I have been thinking that I am not getting enough juice out of my outlet 120v that runs about 115-120v whithout sub amp running. It runs 110-115 with sub amp medium voulume. When I start to crank it it dives down to 105v according to the meter on my power protection unit. I have a seperate breaker box on my meterpole that is 50 feet to where I am thinking of running a seperate dedicated circuit to my theater equiptment with ample guage wire to it. Also what woul;d there be as in pros and cons of running a seperate 20 amp plug for my sub amp, when it has its own15amp circuit breaker on the back of the amp? Also for this 50 foot run, what guage wire would be more than adequate tom run this circuit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The resistance of #12 copper is less than 2 ohms per 1000 feet. Even if you are drawing 20 amps through 100 feet the voltage drop should only be (.2 X 20 =) 4 volts. I would start by checking for loose or coroded connections. Seems to me you have excess resistance from somewhere. If you have one of theose outlets that has spring loaded connections on the back I would start by switching it for one that has screw type connections. If you are drawing enough current to actually drop 10 volts in 100 feet or less on #12 wire it would take a breaker capable of carrying 50 amps not to trip (or you have Federal Pacific breakers which lost their UL approval for not tripping at rated current). I'm not saying a dedicated circuit is a bad idea but I would check for excess resistance in your existing circuit as well.

E=I*R
E- voltage
I- current
R- resistance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did replace all outlets with the screw type first thing. There is alot of stuff on each breaker from the way it was first installed. And they ran #14 wire on the circuits. I do have more room in my b -box to do some splitting on combined rooms per breaker. All appliances and a/c have thier own breakers, it is all the lights and plugs that are combined- two rooms per breaker. Being they ran #14 for the circuits is what really got me thinking about running a dedicated #12 or #10 to give me plenty of juice. Which will be #12 wire I will run. Next question is to just snap another breaker in my house panel box and run it from there, or run it from the breaker panel on the meter pole. The thought was to go to my panel on the meter pole to off load some strain off the rest of my house general service, and also it might be better power coming from the direct source. Plus there are no appliances and devices with transformer wall wart plugs on them. Trying to make sure not to have the imfamous 60 hertz hum in my sub that I had to fight when I went from a sub with a plate amp and Infinity 12" sub to problem when I started playing my QSC RMX2450 amp to run a 18" Malestrom sub. On the last note I was trying to have plenty of power to run future amps, possibly another pro amp, and a seven channels worth for my main speakers. Maybe Emotiva or Parasound,Rotel,Sunfire or Aragon with 200watt per channel to run anything I would ever want. Gentlemen... your thoughts please, as to if my thoughts were correct or am I way off base... Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For me personally it would depend on the size of service to the house and how loaded it is. If the current service is adequate (size of service and empty breaker slots) to add a couple of circuits that's what I would do. A couple of 20 amp breakers with #12 ran to the theater room/area would be sufficient for most all applications. Obviously there are exceptions such as racks of pro amps. If I decided I needed to go to the source (pole) I personally would run something like a 60 amp circuit to a distribution panel in the room and split it up from there. I wouldn't go to the trouble of going back to the pole and just run a 20 amp circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts