Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Hey Dan

I'm out in Wildwood area. There are a few of us nuts around. Drop me a line sometime - maybe we can meet up and talk for a while.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Hi Dan

I've seen a couple of the rooms from the guys in High Ridge. They LOOK beautiful - but I don't necessarily agree with their acoustic theories personally.

If you go back to the Sound Room, go to the one on Olive just inside the 270 loop and ask for Tim. He's a friend of mine and a great guy to deal with. He's a serious audio head and knows his stuff.

I have my room mostly done but every time I build treatments, I end up selling them to somebody. One of these days I'm just going to bolt them to the walls so they CAN'T come down :bigsmile:

Doing a room right acoustically really isn't all that expensive if you know what you're doing. I design theaters, auditoriums, 2 channel rooms, etc. all the time. Like I said, one of these nights we'll get together and see what you're looking at.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The room is a system. It needs to be treated that way. Seating position comes first. Screen size is determined by seating position and projector performance.

Treating a room requires a balanced approach that will:

- Bring decay times into the proper curve for the desired usage
- Address dialog clarity
- Address detrimental reflections

If you see a room that has 70% of the wall surfaces covered with thinner absorption and nothing in terms of broadband bass control, run, don't walk. It's terribly unbalanced, you'll have dialog and micro-detail masking issues, and sloppy, muddy, one or two note bass.

A room with too large a screen that's not acoustically transparent pushes the speakers too close to the side walls causing bottom end abberations and drastic fluctuations from the designers response curve. Or, it forces speakers to be placed under or over the screen where again, you have boundary issues - not to mention poor lock of dialog and action to the screen.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Hey Tim

I'd definitely start your own thread about it to get the best response. I a lot of guys not local to St. Louis won't read this thread.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Good deal. Glad they're looking at things all around. There are lots of places to do bass control other than corners if you plan ahead and have the space.

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts