Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys carry a handgun with you for defense?

After a rather odd incident with my wife and I one evening I decided it was time to start carrying. I use to a while back and at some point did not renew my permit and stopped, but have since started back. We also recently had a local home invasion where a guy broke in on a married couple. Fortunately they survived and the perpetrator ended up dying from stab wounds where the wife stabbed him. The couple did sustain some pretty serious injuries though. I don't worry too much about a home invasion due to how you have to get to our home and where we live, but you never know. I do worry about other situations that have weighed on my mind for a number of years (almost 30) that I have been in the lending business and always around large sums of money in a small office with 1-4 employees... currently only one other person and myself. Many times we leave with money bags.

Alabama is an open carry state, but we have to have a permit once we conceal it, including entering into a vehicle. I am not much for open carrying since it seems to make law enforcement officials a bit more cautious... and it should, so I opt to keep mine concealed in my front pocket if I am actually carrying it, which is mostly to and from my vehicle.

I currently have a Sig P238 .380 that includes a factory laser. This is my defensive carry gun. I also have a Charter Arms .22 LR and a Ruger .357 Magnum. The 22 is mostly just a cheap fun gun for target shooting, while the 357 is the house gun. Don't go breaking in on me cause it will cease and desist you very quickly.

Right now I am about to change up my carry gun because I am not comfortable with the cocked and loaded status of the Sig while carrying. I don't like the open hammer and safety setup with a single action gun. I am looking at either a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard, both are .380 and double action. I am going to check them both out tomorrow. The gun shops around here only have the regular LCP, but I may pick up a Crimson Trace Laser for it. The BG includes a laser, but it is similar to the Sig laser where the button has to be pressed on the side instead of a grip activation like the Crimson Trace. I am somewhat favoring the Ruger because it is slightly lighter, smaller and easier to carry.

Here is comparison I yanked from another site:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The Ruger seems very close in size to my Glock 40 but with no offence to Glock it is a cheap gun and my Glock 9 seems even cheaper, my gun of choice is my Smith & Wessen 500 (it will stop a Train)) unfortunately my wife won't let me keep them at the house but do have a 170lb Mastiff that should keep perpertraters at ease if needed as well as my little big Boxer/Sheperd mix.
My cousin runs some type of Pharmacutical company that requires the need to carry, i believe he has a Kimber of some sort.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any of you guys carry a handgun with you for defense?

I currently have a Sig P238 .380 that includes a factory laser. This is my defensive carry gun. I also have a Charter Arms .22 LR and a Ruger .357 Magnum. The 22 is mostly just a cheap fun gun for target shooting, while the 357 is the house gun. Don't go breaking in on me cause it will cease and desist you very quickly.
I carry!!!! On this forum I'm a THX Certified Video Calibrator but you don't want to ask for my wallet in the supermarket parking lot. Attitude developed as a 12 year Marine and gunsmith holder of a Federal Firearms Dealers License (yeah, I calibrate guns too) won't allow me to take any garbage from anyone. In my opinion, every American should be required by law to carry lethal force as it would cut the crime rate by 90% immediately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I carried my glock 40 eveyday and love the gun. Wife carries a p38 hammerless. She use to keep in her purse till I explained that the first thing some punk is gonna take from a female if a chance arrives is purse.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I keep my guns close and go to the range for fun and keeping my aim up to par , the true definition of gun control is hitting your target besides the wife enjoys it also and I do like my Glock.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I wish there was a way to fit your weapons to the threat . . . but there's not.
After 30 years in law enforcement I always wondered how much (exposed and aimed weapon) would be enough of a deterrent to stop a perpetrator and change their mind. I still don't know.
They have developed new ammunition, non-lethal ammunition for both hand guns and shot guns.
I wonder if a muzzle flash, loud noise, and some small plastic pellets would be enough to deter an aggressor?
I wonder if a recording of a shot gun being loaded, played through your home theater system, would deter anybody?
How about the recording of a round of dbl 'O' buck being fired, played at 120dB through your home theater system.
Would THAT deter anybody?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wish there was a way to fit your weapons to the threat . . . but there's not.
After 30 years in law enforcement I always wondered how much (exposed and aimed weapon) would be enough of a deterrent to stop a perpetrator and change their mind. I still don't know.
They have developed new ammunition, non-lethal ammunition for both hand guns and shot guns.
I wonder if a muzzle flash, loud noise, and some small plastic pellets would be enough to deter an aggressor?
I wonder if a recording of a shot gun being loaded, played through your home theater system, would deter anybody?
How about the recording of a round of dbl 'O' buck being fired, played at 120dB through your home theater system.
Would THAT deter anybody?
Not sure about through the hi-fi but it deterred someone from breaking in my front door once I was on the other side and racked the pump they did tear up my boxwoods getting away from the porch. I hope I never have to shot someone I have made it over 50yrs and not would like to keep it that way but crime seems to be on the rise.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one most definite thing is that if you don't have a gun you sure won't ever have a chance to use it. Something is better than nothing for me. If the rack of my pump scares them that would be great, if it don't then the bullet that hits them should. :gulp:

I ended up ordering the Kahr P380 with the Crimson Trace laser. I watched a guy take down the P380 and one of the Ruger LCPs and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Kahr. The owner at one of the gun shops I visited carries this handgun and says he has shot every 380 available with this being "by far" the most accurate. I tried the feel and trigger on both today, as well as several others, and the Kahr was no doubt superior for my preferences. Very smooth double action... and lightweight as well. It did cost about $200 more, but worth it for me.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The one most definite thing is that if you don't have a gun you sure won't ever have a chance to use it. Something is better than nothing for me. If the rack of my pump scares them that would be great, if it don't then the bullet that hits them should. :gulp:

I ended up ordering the Kahr P380 with the Crimson Trace laser. I watched a guy take down the P380 and one of the Ruger LCPs and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Kahr. The owner at one of the gun shops I visited carries this handgun and says he has shot every 380 available with this being "by far" the most accurate. I tried the feel and trigger on both today, as well as several others, and the Kahr was no doubt superior for my preferences. Very smooth double action... and lightweight as well. It did cost about $200 more, but worth it for me.

Now that is a sweet little shooter! If i was still into gun buying i'd certainly look into that.:T

I have nothing against Glock as i have the 9mm and 40 cal. but for a few more bucks i feel i could have gotten better quality guns. The 40 cal. seems to be more worth the money.:T I'll tell you what though, the 500 smith & Wessen is certainly better then any Alarm system could be.:bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A buddy of mine had that Beretta showing it to me this past weekend... with the flip up barrel for loading. Pretty neat, but it was only a .22 LR... not quite potent enough for me. I know a guy that got shot 8 times with a .22 LR ... stayed a couple days in the hospital after they got the bullets out of the fatty tissue in his stomach, then went home.

I would not mind having something that is more than the P380, but not quite as much as my .357 for home defense. Maybe a .40 caliper would be something to consider. I would not mind something that won't break my eardrums if I needed it in a jam like the .357, which is seriously loud and has some serious kick to it. It is not an easy gun to fire with one hand... and I am not a weakling by any means. :flex: Of course I ain't Arnold Schwarzenegger neither (thankfully). A semi-automatic would probably be better for home defense.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The problem I see with large high caliber weapons for home defense is they have the possibility of going through the intended criminal and hitting a neighbor as I used to own a 44 magnum and shot an old car block with hollow points after seeing the damage it got me worried as to how far the bullet could travel after it hit its intended target at close range.
The other thing most people don't take in account is muzzle flash at night time its temporary blindness
after the first shot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't have a gun yet :( I've been planning on getting one soon (just to start with, I'll want more than one!)...I of course hope to never need to use it on another person, but it's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it. I also plan on getting a concealed carry permit, but only after I get my gun and am fully comfortable with it.

I really want a Springfield XD (or XDM, but I want to try one first), but I'm a slim guy who doesn't wear overly baggy clothes so I'm not sure how well I could carry that concealed. If I do get one it won't be my carry weapon. The Kahr P380 looks like a good option, although I dunno if I'd be willing to spend the extra for it over the Ruger LCP.

Anyway, I've only gone shooting a couple times so far. I'd like to keep trying different weapons so I can find the right one for me. The XD is my favorite so far :D

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you were to start doing a lot of range shooting then the P380 would be a easier on your hand/wrist than the LCP. Otherwise, for something that you may not use but occasionally, the LCP would be fine and save you some money. It is known for its reliability and a very popular handgun.

Ozzie... I did not consider the muzzle flash issue at night... that is definitely some to keep in mind.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't plan on using the LCP for a range toy, just a ccw. Maybe bring it to the range every so often just so I'm used to shooting it.

Another gun I forgot about that I'm really interested in as a carry weapon is the Springfield XDS (can you tell I'm an XD fanboy? :D)

It's nice and slim, and holds 5+1 .45 ACP :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm pretty sure some cities and states don't allow concealed carry, but I can't say I'm familiar with all the laws across the country :)

If I were in your position though, I don't know if I'd be willing to give an intruder a chance to walk away. What if he takes that chance to turn around and pull a gun? What if he takes that chance to come back when you aren't there (and potentially steal your weapon)? I'd rather not give him that chance.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts