Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’ve just started playing with REW and a minidsp for my active horn setup. At this stage I’m only using bass and mid-range horns which should take me to around 10k. My first sweeps show some major dips and peaks in the sub 200hz range, as moving the bass horns isn’t an option (they’re corner loaded) I tried moving the location of the mic which is sitting on the back of my listening chair right where my head would be. The result were that these peeks and dips moved which indicated that they’re room related. Also not present when a close range measurement is taken.
I have a 100mm rock wool corner traps in all corners plus a few on the walls so it’s a fairly dead room. Room is 6 x 4 mtr with a 3 x 2 mtr section to the left of the listening position so not just a rectangular room but a big L shape which I thought would have been ok for acoustics…

I tried moving and removing some of these panels and yes there were changes but not what I’m after. When I thought and read some more about this it appears these dips and peaks are coming from out of phase cancellation and additions, correct?

If this is the case why can’t we just stand up a deflector panel to reflect the sound into another part of the room, maybe a curved or uneven panel to help break up the sound. The room volume will be the same but the distance the sound waves have to travel will increase. I was thinking about a couple of deflectors behind my listening position angled to deflect sound away from the listener. Worth a try?

Really appreciate any thoughts or advise.

Cheers Dave
Bass response.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

If this is the case why can’t we just stand up a deflector panel to reflect the sound into another part of the room, maybe a curved or uneven panel to help break up the sound.

Worth a try?
The reason it won’t work is because down in the region you’re having the most problems – about 100 Hz and below – the sound is omnidirectional.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wayne, so what's the solution. Better - more traps? Or don't worry?

Cheers Dave

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, use rew and minidsp to smooth out what i have then look at building in a house curve but don't over eq to get a straight line. Basically that's it isn't it?

Cheers

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts