Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Tom,

Looks like your post got kidnapped for a bit..., it can happen, My apologies for my part in that.

Tom, the 3313ci has plenty of power to drive your Definitive Tech speakers. I am sure you will be happy. As far as the discount code I believe the discount is Accessories4Less. I don't know of any benefit in buying from the manufacturer in fact you would probably get better service from A4L, everything sent back to any factory is usually x10 in wait time (I could be wrong). I have recommended A4L several times and I have had no neg reports back. Bottom line, I have not talked to anybody at Denon to run the "what if" question, If I had maybe I would buy from the factory.

Let us know about the sound quality..., or me anyway I am interested in the 3313ci. I like all of the newer connect options (HDMI 1.4) and AdysseyEQ-XT setup

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Now I've gone and done exactly what I did not want to do. I did not want to recommend any one retailer .

Please do not listen to any of my recommendations. Use you judgement you have done all of the leg work in this . If you are comfortable with the Denon manufacturer then by all means buy from them.

If you were to buy from A4L and there was a problem I would..., well that would probably end my forum days.

In any case this is your decision. There should not be an issue with buying from anybody. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds with your DefTech's though.

Regards

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agree with Gregr.. 3313 will power your needs. So will other though.

I bought my Denon from a cheap online retailer. Denon support had no problem when i had questions and warranted the product even though I didn't need it (firmware upgrade fixed). It was new from the retailer so I am not sure on refurb. Call Denon if you are unsure. My call to them took 2 mins.

My Father in Law had an issue 2 months ago with a 7 year old high end Denon (through integrator) and they still provided service at a decent rate.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Tom - I just reread this whole thread. I did not remember you've had the 2809 since new and with the same issue.

5 things:

1. the Denon 2809 with 115watts should drive the BP7006's 4 - 4.5" speakers and tweeters per channel.
2. how long of a run of speaker cable to each speaker, what gauge speaker wire
3. where do the BP7006's plug in for AC power e.g. are the power cords from the same source and equal
in length - ever thought about Monster Powerline 300
4. have you been using the LFE (sub) connections on the BP7006's
5. What are the speaker settings (on the speaker sub amp) crossed over at 80hz - 100hz and is/was the
Denon 2809 crossed over at the same

3313ci will give you all of the options you need to get the best out of your DefTech's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ok. Since I am going to be starting from new. I just ordered the 3313CI. What is going to be the best hookup? I have deftech book shelf speakers that look like SR-8040BP. Hung from the ceiling. I can not find the model number on the speakers. I bought them about 5 years ago. BP 7006 front and BP 2002 center. 14AWG that I ran through my ceiling and under the house. Please don't tell me I need to change it. Would be very hard. I think I had a "Y" ( not a cheap one ) hooked up for the subs somehow. LFE, because I just ran across it while looking at some connectors in a box. From rear spks, about 20ft of AWG 14. Front about 6ft. What is Monster Powerline 300? I will look it up after I send this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Before I moved, I think they were plugged into a power strip along with the TV, AVR, DVD Player, Sat box. But now, I have 2 outlets ( 4 places for plug ins ) on the same wall close by. Will it matter if the outlets are on the same breaker and or circuit? Thank you for taking this a step at a time. I really want to get things working correctly. I get my new refurb 3313CI delivered today. I have nothing plugged in or set up yet. Nothing.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Tom -

As you know your 7006's have a 300watt amp ea. running the bottom end. I am not sure what the, amperes of current draw each will demand but this is written on the back amp plate of the 7006's. For these two amps I would give them as much breathing room as possible. I am talking about AC power. if these are digital or hybrid amps and you had just these two amps on a 15amp circuit by themselves you could probably play them as loud as you want, without issue. But now, if you add the Onkyo, the Onkyo is an 8 amps draw (Max). Your source components are small 2 or3 ampere/current draws each but you use them one at a time. All together you maybe close to maxing a 15 amp circuit (if your playing at Max).

Now comes the interesting part. The circuit breaker for the receptacle your system is on is probably the same as the wall receptacle to the left and to the right of your system. So whatever is plugged into these 3 OR MORE receptacles are added to the ampere demand on the breaker as well. This means you cannot use either one of these to plug the 7006's into if you ever want to max your system (only). The interesting part is if you plug the DefTech's too far from the the remainder of the HT/audio system there could be ground loop issues. What I mean is the power circuit to the 7006's (if on a seperate circuit) should be approximately the same length as the power circuit to the Onkyo and source components.

I have 2 x 150 watt BASH (Digital) Sub amps, a Denon AVR, computer etc etc. I've never seen the circuit draw go over 12.5A but I feel you may be getting close.

You may want to talk with an electrician in your area about your options if you believe you are too close for comfort. I cannot tell you that if you total the amperage demands of all your equipment on one circuit you can divide that total by a number and if that result is less than the 15 or 20 amp breaker in your breaker box your OK. But logic can tell you what proportion of Max you can play or if you need an additional circuit.

So then what is your total system amperage Max draw???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Greg, kidnapped is correct. I was wondering??? I did call Denon factory, they were out and pointed me towards A4L. So I did. Good recom. from you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Checked the back of the spk. 375 watts, and fuse in spk is 3.2A 250V. Plate does not tell me amperage. Divide by what? Add all amperage together from all pieces and divide by the number of pieces? TV no amps listed on the back.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
What I'm trying to say..., and not very well, is;

If you add together the value of the fuses (amperes or 3.5A)required to run each piece of equipment in your system this will give you an idea of the circuit breaker you need to run the system.

DefTech = 3.5A (amperes) x 2 = 7Amperes
Denon AVR 3313CI = 8A
Total = 15A

What does this number of maximum amps, for just these two pieces of your system listed above, say to you?

What I see is - you have the potential to max your circuit with just these two pieces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You are correct. So, should I run an extention cord from another circuit? Until I can get an electrician to take a look. Because if the outlets are in series, then I don't think you can seperate them to a different breaker? I really don't know, I am just guessing.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts