Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Denon 2910 connection ?s - unique I think

3K views 8 replies 1 participant last post by  Hakka 
G
#1 ·
Hello all. I just received my 2910 and I am about to order some cables (6 channel and digital coax cable). But before I place the order, I have a question. I have the Denon 3805 which has 8 DD channel inputs and the 2910 has 6 channel outputs for the SACD/DVD-A etc. I was wondering if there's a way that I can get 7.1 SACD/DVD-A from the 2910 and 3805. In other words, can I hook up the surround sides outputs from the 2910 to the 3805's surround sides and surround back inputs using rca to rca cables with a "y" cables or a "y" adapter? How would that sound? Or is that possible?:huh:

Thanks for any insight.

#2 ·
SACD and DVD-A are only 5.1 channel formats. If you want to play them back through 7.1 channels you need to use a splitters on the LS and RS outputs from the 2910, and run them into the RS/LS/SBR/SBL inputs on the back of your 3805. You will now have the RS duplicated in the SBR and LS duplicated in the SBL channels.

I have a 3803, but I have been told it is possible to use DDEX decoding on the analog input of the 3805 and 3806. If this is the case then you wont need the splitters, you will be able to decode a surround back channel from the DVD-A using your 3805. You still might get better results by duplicating the RS/LS in the surround back channel, see how it goes.

You could always run in DDEX mode on the digital input but this would seriously compromise the sound quality of the hi res formats.

The 7.1 analog inputs are there as a 'future proof' feature, I heard there is a blu ray player available with a 7.1 analog output.

#4 ·
Splitters wont affect quality, but you should see a 3db increase in volume when you play the signal back through 2 speakers instead of one, so you will have to recalibrate your levels.

DDEX is an extension of Dolby Digital 5.1, it uses a matrix decoder to extract a 'surround back' channel from the left and right surround signal, this extra channel is then played back through 2 speakers, although it is a mono channel.

G
#8 · (Edited)
Update: I finally got a chance to use all 7 speakers, via y adapters, of the 5.1 analog outputs of the 2910. I listened to the Steely Dan SACD (Gaucho), . All I can say is that I was in musical bliss hearing the background singers, keyboards engulfing me from the side and rear surrounds while the lead singer came at me from the front. I have not done any technical measurings other than with my ears and I love the sound. But...:R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.