Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an optical or coaxial hookup better than the other?
I'm hooking up a Sony 5 disc CD/DVD player for music as well as a Sony DVD player solely for movies so that I don't have to keep switching the surround setting on my Denon. (DTS to Direct, etc.)

My Denon doesn't have an optical in for DVD or CD but rather SAT, DVR & VCR. It does have coaxial inputs for DVD & CD BUT I'd rather run an optical in rather than a coaxial.
BTW, I am running a VCR as well, yeah I know, why?

Is one better than the other? Would it really make a difference in sound quality especially on SACD's?
I know coaxial is digital but it seems to me that an optical signal would be a much better digital delivery source? :scratch:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Re: Denon 3808CI:Optical or Coaxial hookup

Is an optical or coaxial hookup better than the other?

Is one better than the other? Would it really make a difference in sound quality especially on SACD's?
I know coaxial is digital but it seems to me that an optical signal would be a much better digital delivery source? :scratch:
Neither will make any noticeable difference audibly . The coaxial cable is alot more like HDMI as far as the signal is concerned just 0's and 1's. and is alot less fragile than the optical cable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I second the above response. I remember hearing years ago that coaxial was better, but I can't remember the reasoning. I would suggest just using whatever you have on hand. If buying new optical cable just buy entry level as quality isn't really an issue with fibreoptics
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The downside to optical is that the cables are not as durable. Otherwise, not much difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts