Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a two year old Denon it's a 7.1 receiver but because of space I can only do 5.1 and am using the second zone for patio music. Anyways I want to upgrade to the xt32 version of Audyssey and both the 4311 and 818 have it on board but I can't decide which receiver would be better of the two. The problem is would it be worth the upgrade for xt32 even if I won't be able to take advantage of the other features ?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The 4311 has XT32 with SubEQ, I believe the 818 only has XT32 but not SubEQ.

SubEQ only adjusts the distance and levels of 2 subs, it EQ's them as one LFE source after that though, just like the 818 would do without SubEQ. If you manually set-up the distance and levels then it will be the same.

Isn't the 4311 about twice the price of the Onkyo 818?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4311 has XT32 with SubEQ, I believe the 818 only has XT32 but not SubEQ.

SubEQ only adjusts the distance and levels of 2 subs, it EQ's them as one LFE source after that though, just like the 818 would do without SubEQ. If you manually set-up the distance and levels then it will be the same.

Isn't the 4311 about twice the price of the Onkyo 818?
Yes twice the price and I won't be using two subs.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
XT32 is a better EQ than the older XT so yes, I think it would be a worthy upgrade. Since you will only be using 1 sub then the Onkyo 818 would be my choice and save that extra money to upgrade something else in your system or add room treatments.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I would also go with the 818. I would hold off for them to go on sale though. When I purchased my 809 it was selling for a fraction of MSRP just months after being released.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
If looking at AC4L, the differences in price are not that vast. If you are fairly certain you are not going to be running dual subwoofers during the time you have the AVR, the 818 is mighty tempting. A major pro for the Onkyo is the HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo Video Processing tandem that is considered the finest on the market. The 818 having THX Post Processing is also nice.

The Denon does offer a Preamp Only mode where the internal amplification can be switched off when using outboard amplification. The Denon also offers Airplay for Apple devices.

I do think the Onkyo has a slightly stronger amplifier stage, but it would probably not be noticeable unless using rather difficult to drive speakers and or using a large room. SubEQ HT is amazing and should not be discounted however. It offers a very similar experience to the $800 SVS AS-EQ1 that SubEQ HT is modeled after.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,
If looking at AC4L, the differences in price are not that vast. If you are fairly certain you are not going to be running dual subwoofers during the time you have the AVR, the 818 is mighty tempting. A major pro for the Onkyo is the HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo Video Processing tandem that is considered the finest on the market. The 818 having THX Post Processing is also nice.

The Denon does offer a Preamp Only mode where the internal amplification can be switched off when using outboard amplification. The Denon also offers Airplay for Apple devices.

I do think the Onkyo has a slightly stronger amplifier stage, but it would probably not be noticeable unless using rather difficult to drive speakers and or using a large room. SubEQ HT is amazing and should not be discounted however. It offers a very similar experience to the $800 SVS AS-EQ1 that SubEQ HT is modeled after.
Cheers,
JJ
Thanks, can you have thx mode at the same time as Audyssey? Also what about the hdmi issues with the 818 are they resolved?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thanks, can you have thx mode at the same time as Audyssey? Also what about the hdmi issues with the 818 are they resolved?
Hello,
Audyssey and THX Post Processing can be used simultaneously. As for HDMI Issues, from what I have read, the latest firmware updates have made things more stable. You might want to consider the TX-NR3009 as it offers XT32, a decent bit stronger amplifier stage that meets THX Ultra2 Plus Certification (818 THX Select2), has SubEQ HT, and more.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently debating between the Denon 3313 and the Onkyo 818. I have always loved the sound of Denon as well as their reliability which is why I naturally am gravitating towards them once again. However the feature set of the Onkyo at the current price point is too hard to ignore and I am completely torn between the two. I have never owned an Onkyo nor heard one outside of a store setting. I am only running a 5.1 setup and honestly will probably never fully utilize all the bells and whistles of either one of these but I like to have it if needed. I know the only way to determine which one sounds best to me is to audition both in home. My question about the Onkyo is reliability. My current Denon is 8 years old and works flawlessly however I am way overdue for an upgrade due to so many advances in video technology since my last purchase. After doing some research online it seems as if Onkyo has some reliability issues. Does anyone know if this is the norm or it happens to be model specific?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Onkyo 709 had some units manufactured in a two month period that had a bad board and was repaired under a recall, The 5008 had a faulty ribbon cable on some units as well but over all given they outsell other manufacturers almost two to one your going to see some faulty units. I am still using my Onkyo 805 thats now 5 years old and it was said to burst into flames LOL but not one person has ever proven that. I have never had one issue. There seems to be a small handful of Onkyo haters that for what ever reason bash them profusely. I along with many others here at the HTS think they offer the very best bang for buck of any manufacturer particularly in the power output.
For the record I was a Yamaha fanboy for many years till I bought my first Onkyo and it changed my mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am aware of the "haters" that each brand seems to have for no apparent reason at all. It's almost as if they think by bashing another product it somehow makes theirs better. It's good to hear that Onkyo's problems seem to be tied to particular units rather than an overall quality issue. I guess now it just comes down to how it sounds to me. It's funny you mentioned Yamaha because when I bought my first A/V receiver a decade ago I auditioned a Yamaha and a Denon and the Denon for me had a far more natural sound which I fell in love with. As I stated earlier I LOVE the Denon sound and probably wouldn't even have considered the Onkyo if I could get the same features at the same price point. Although MSRP is comparable the actual street price that Onkyo is available at makes it a GREAT value. Well I will defintely come back and post my decision on which one I decide to keep when I pull the trigger. The thing that is bad is that by the end of January when I am ready to buy I will be so tempted to wait for the next years editions to see what's new. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I was also a fan of Yamaha before purchasing my Onkyo 809. I've been 100% satisfied with my Onkyo and would not hesitate to purchase the 818 today if I could somehow justify the purchase with my wife. Having said that I think Denon makes excellent AVR's and it would be my second choice.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I was told the 4311 is made in Japan instead of China. I don't know about the 818. Japan is better for sure or am I wrong?
I would prefer all of my electronics originate in Japan.
Hello,
I too have always valued equipment made in Japan. In the pre Bain days, a larger number of Denons were made there as opposed to China. All Onkyo and Integra's have been made in Malaysia since the x05/.8 Series.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 65 Posts