Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading to the 4520 and plan to run 11.2 setup. I already have an Emotiva XPA-2 that runs my front speakers in a 9.2 setup. I know the 4520 will run the other 9 speakers just fine, but Emotiva is having a pretty decent sale and I was thinking about picking up another amp.

If I get an XPA-5 (200w x 5), which 5 channels would you use it to drive? I was thinking the front highs and wides and the center but wanted some input from the folks here.

Also I was considering just getting just the XPA-100 (250w x 1) to run just the center channel and letting the 4520 handle all surrounds. This would give me a little more power on the center but the 4520 would now be handling 8 channels which is bound to reduce headroom. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The 4520 well might be all the power you need for 9 of the channels. What kind of speakers are you using and how large is your room?
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree with Jack, if your already powering the mains with your XPA2 then your likely not going to gain anything by adding any more amps to the Denon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Upgrading to the 4520 and plan to run 11.2 setup. I already have an Emotiva XPA-2 that runs my front speakers in a 9.2 setup. I know the 4520 will run the other 9 speakers just fine, but Emotiva is having a pretty decent sale and I was thinking about picking up another amp.

If I get an XPA-5 (200w x 5), which 5 channels would you use it to drive? I was thinking the front highs and wides and the center but wanted some input from the folks here.

Also I was considering just getting just the XPA-100 (250w x 1) to run just the center channel and letting the 4520 handle all surrounds. This would give me a little more power on the center but the 4520 would now be handling 8 channels which is bound to reduce headroom. Thoughts?
Might be worth adding the XPA 100 for the center as it should work well with your XPA-2 on the mains. No need to do anything else as the Denon should be more than adequate on the rest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting to think the XPA-100 might be best. Center is an Axiom 150 - rated to 400 watts. XPA-100 is only $379 and this would power it well and make sure the center has plenty of headroom. Surrounds are Definitive Tech Pro1000's with Polk Dipoles for rear surrounds (cannot recall model - FX something). Agree that 4520 should handle the surrounds with ease, but...you never can have enough horsepower can you? That being said, the DefTechs are pretty efficient and I can't imagine the surrounds being underpowered at 150W per channel from the 4520 (even though that's power rating is only relevant for 2 channels driven).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Starting to think the XPA-100 might be best. Center is an Axiom 150 - rated to 400 watts. XPA-100 is only $379 and this would power it well and make sure the center has plenty of headroom. Surrounds are Definitive Tech Pro1000's with Polk Dipoles for rear surrounds (cannot recall model - FX something). Agree that 4520 should handle the surrounds with ease, but...you never can have enough horsepower can you? That being said, the DefTechs are pretty efficient and I can't imagine the surrounds being underpowered at 150W per channel from the 4520 (even though that's power rating is only relevant for 2 channels driven).
I like this solution too. The 4520 is a beastly receiver and it supplies good power but not all speaker assignments are the same. You've recognized that already by having the XPA-2 (@300wpc x2) drive the front mains...great call. But that leaves the what is arguably the most important speaker in a home theater configuration, the center channel with only 150wpc if the Denon drives it (not to mention sharing its power with with 8 other speakers). The XPA-5 (@200wpc x5) is a great product but unless you are looking to do a lot of multichannel music, your rear surrounds are the same towers as your front mains or if your room is huge, it is probably overkill. The XPA-100 can drive 250wpc dedicated for that critical application with only $379 out of pocket. All of your other speakers are used to fill in the surround information and aren't used nearly as often or at the required power for your main front three speakers.

If you did have rear towers (like me) and wanted to do more multichannel music, I'd pick the XPA-3 (@200wpc x3), using it to drive the center and rear towers. But that's way overkill on Pro1000s.

Your new Denon still has to drive 8 channels in this configuration but again, the 4520 is no slouch and should be able to handle 150wpc to surrounds without really breathing hard. Congrats on the 4520...I'm jealous. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'm definitely going with the XPA-100 as I believe having the center driven with its own amp is probably the most bang for the buck. Really don't think I will notice anything is I drive the surrounds with dedicated amps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am powering my ML's with it right now, bi-amping the mains... 5.2 setup. Does a fine job even when pushed hard.
That's the receiver I wish I had the budget for (I'll probably end up with a 3313). But I need to get a price from my dealer...who knows what they might tell me? I already know I can get a good deal on the 3313.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
That's the receiver I wish I had the budget for (I'll probably end up with a 3313). But I need to get a price from my dealer...who knows what they might tell me? I already know I can get a good deal on the 3313.
Hello,
Have you considered getting an AVR-4311? The price should be fairly close to what a 3313 would cost and offers so much more with Audyssey MultEQ XT32/SubEQ HT. The 4311 is really not all that different than the 4520 and the HDMI spec remains 1.4. I do love the industrial design of the 4520, but internally it really is not that much different than its predecessor.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to follow up. Got 4520. Love it. Went with XPA-100 for center. Coupled with my XPA-2 for main L/R I believe that I have plenty of power. Full volume would result in significant pain to my ears and probably destroy the house as well.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Wanted to follow up. Got 4520. Love it. Went with XPA-100 for center. Coupled with my XPA-2 for main L/R I believe that I have plenty of power. Full volume would result in significant pain to my ears and probably destroy the house as well.
Hello,
Very nice. I love the industrial design of the 4520 and think it really is a major upgrade over the 4311. With the amplification, you have a huge amount of flexibility. For around a decade, I have used heavy duty outboard amplification combined with AVR's similar to the 4520 to excellent effect. I am seriously considering getting a 4520 soon just to mix it up as new AVR/SSP's are quite fun and I have been using Onkyo's for the the entire HDMI era.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I plan on collecting some additional amps so that I can eventually have external power for all channels. For now, I'm moving on to my next upgrade...systematically replacing all speakers.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I plan on collecting some additional amps so that I can eventually have external power for all channels. For now, I'm moving on to my next upgrade...systematically replacing all speakers.
Sound plan of action as speakers definitely are the most crucial of all AV components.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the most important speaker in a home theater configuration, the center channel with only 150wpc if the Denon drives it (not to mention sharing its power with with 8 other speakers). The XPA-100 can drive 250wpc dedicated for that critical application with only $379 out of pocket.
While more power is always better, going from 150 W to 250 W is less than a 3 db difference in power. Also, it is bass that demands the most power.

If your center speaker is not full range, and you have a separately powered subwoofer, then I guarantee you will not notice the difference. If your center speaker is full range, then the addition of less than 3 db in power will be subtle.

Some might make the case that running the other channels might reduce the power to the center. Wile that could be true, the surrounds, especially if they are small, rarely put a strain on a receiver like the front three do.

A test would be to run your system as now configured to full power, assuming you can stand it, and try to determine of your center speaker is distorting. The best test would be to hook up an oscilloscope and look for any clipping - but given that, if your ears cannot detect it, why spend the $ there?

When I went from separates to a receiver, I went from 350 W per channel to 80. I could not tell the difference in power, although I do miss the look of my good old huge rack mounted amp with those meters flying back and forth. The lights in the house would dim when I powered that on......
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good point but I already sprung for the XPA-100. Agree that it may not make a difference but the amp looks cool in the rack :bigsmile:

I am very satisfied with the overall sound now. It really does sound like there is no strain - basically effortless. Reference level, while too loud for extended listening, sounds excellent now. And the best feature of the 4520 is the Dynamic Volume. It sounds great at any listening level.

Much greater improvement over the Yami. So much so I cannot even put it into words.

Over the next year or so I plan to replace all speakers with Axiom speakers (front three are Axiom now). Subs are already taken care of - 2 Submersive F2s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my 4520 and did a swap out from my old Pioneer AVR. I haven't even run the Audyssey yet as we move in less than 2 weeks, but it is sounding great. I have a Parasound HCA-1205A amp that has 1 bad channel so I was using it to run the front three channels with the Pio. I am running the 4520 on it's own amps (6.1 setup) but decided to to a comparison putting the Parasound in for the front three, and I couldn't really hear much difference. I think I will use it when we get moved to the new location just to take load off the Denon seeing as I already have it. I sort of miss some features that I had on my cheaper Pioneer (1326-K), like direct access to channel levels, the remote app for the IPad was great with the Pio, I tried an app for the Denon but it is for an IPhone and it's not good so I got rid of it.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

1 - 20 of 26 Posts