Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Denon 989...to get the benefits of True Dolby HD from Bluray discs do I absolutely have to connect my BD players HDMI out to the 989? Or I can get it through the toslink optical?

I prefer the HDMI connects to my plasma direct...

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I just bought a Denon 989...to get the benefits of True Dolby HD from Bluray discs do I absolutely have to connect my BD players HDMI out to the 989? Or I can get it through the toslink optical?

I prefer the HDMI connects to my plasma direct...
Hello,
Marshall is completely right on. The Denon is a quality product and you can set the HDMI setting to passthrough so there is in theory zero manipulation of the signal.

Given the convenience of having the Denon acting as an HDMI switcher, I would at least try hooking up your Blu Ray Player through the Denon and seeing if there is any adverse effects.

Unlike in the Component Cable age, with a well engineered AVR, there really should be no variation in having the Denon perform the HDMI switching. Especially if set for passthrough.
And as pointed out prior, HDMI or multichannel analog outputs are the only way to get True HD/DTS MA.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys were right... the pic looks awesome...no degrade at all... and DVD's look better passing through the 989. Also I want to note the the sound is amazing ..I have never heard my subs come alive like that... True Dolby HD does make a difference... and I haven't finished setting this thing up yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Anyone here know if the menu graphics are supposed to be limited to just black and white letters and numbers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts