Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Well my problem turned out to be nothing more than a old HDMI cable and old Projector. Luckily I was able to get a new 1.4 HDMI cable and it appears to have solved the problem. I am def happy with my 4520.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Well my problem turned out to be nothing more than a old HDMI cable and old Projector. Luckily I was able to get a new 1.4 HDMI cable and it appears to have solved the problem. I am def happy with my 4520.
Yay! Glad you were able to get it straightened out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
What a shame... I was hoping that they would do it like Epson does. Epson has you put a credit card up for a deposit and sends you a new unit... When you receive it you pack your old one up in the new box. When they receive the old one the cancel the CC info.

I am currently waiting for Denon Tech Support. Mine is acting very strange now. I did the factoiry reset and now I can use my cable box via HDMI but now I get no PC signal to my projector but both sources go to the Samsung via HDMI as does the cable box to the projector.
Yes cross shipping is hard to beat and I wish big companies like Denon and Onkyo would adopt it. Especially on 1000+ dollar items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: New kid on the block

Hi guys,
Ordered my 4520 yesterday from AC4L, in part thanks to the info I received lurking on this thread.
This beauty is definitely more than I needed, but exactly what I wanted...
Can't wait to unpack and bombard you with stooopid questions (compared to most everyone here, I'm pretty much a noob in the field of audiophilistery, or whatever the old Greeks called it...)
:R
I've been a fan of Denon since my old PMA-720 (still fulfilling its duty in the bedroom), and finally decided that I can't live without HDMI anymore, so the trusted 3803 will have to retire.

Questions right off the bat: will I be able to eliminate my bedroom electronics cluster by means of one long HDMI cable to my TV there? (and work the 4520 from there via WiFi with my iPhone / Denon-remote app?)

Is there any benefit to WiFi enabled TVs it terms of set-up/accessibility?

I have a feeling this is going to be another expensive hobby...
:sad: :gulp:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon. I will really need some advices for this issue. I have for around a month an AVR-4520CI receiver. After 2 weeks,
I don't have any information on the LCD Screen receiver.
I did the microprocessor reset process many times with not result.
This is my actual configuration:

Definitive Technology BP8060ST Front Floorstand Speakers.
Definitive Technology CS8060HD Center Speaker.
Definitive Technology SR8080BP Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology SM55 for Front Height & Wide Speakers
HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer

My Audyssey Values are:

Amp. Assign

Assign mode Discrete 11.1 ch
Main pre-amps. Front

Speaker configuration

Front. Small
Center. Small
Subwoofer. 2 spkrs
Surround. Small
Surround back. Small
2 Speakers
Front Height. Small
Front Wide. Small

Speakers/ Distances

Unit. Feet
Step. 1 feet

Front L. 8.6ft
Front R. 8.7ft
Center. 9.7ft
Subwoofer 1. 10.2ft
Subwoofer 2. 8.3ft
Surround L. 6.5ft
Surround R. 7.0ft
Surround Back L. 5.3ft
Surround Back R. 5.5ft
Front Height L. 10.9ft
Front Height R. 11.0ft
Front Wide L. 10.9ft
Front Wide R. 11.1ft

Speaker/Test tones

Front L. -6.5db
Front Height L. 0.0db
Center. -6.5db
Front Height R. -0.5db
Front R. -5.0db
Front Wide R. -3.0db
Surround R. +0.5db
Surround Back R. +1.0db
Surround Back L. +1.0db
Surround L. -1.0db
Front Wide L. -3.0db
Subwoofer 1 -5.5db
Subwoofer 2. -4.0db
Subwoofer 1+2. Down/Up

Speakers Crossovers

Speaker Selection. Individual
All. 80hz. (No se puede cambiar)
Front. 110hz
Center. 40hz. Changed to 80hz all
Surround. 40hz. Recomended BY Audyssey
Surround Baco. 40hz. & HSU (Leo). Technical Support
Front Height. 40hz
Front Wide. 40hz

Speakers/Bass

Subwoofer Mode. LFE
LPF for LFE. 120hz

Speakers Impedance

Impedance. 8ohms

I am really VERY HAPPY with the system performance but I need to solve this issue if possible.
Thanks again for your advices and support.
Carlos

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Yay! Glad you were able to get it straightened out.
Well I thought it was fixed... I replaced 2 HDMI cables and it was working bu now it is having a problem with the PC again. I believe the problem is the older HDMI that the Epson has as the Samsung has no problems at all with the 4520. For the time being I will just unplug the HDMI (monitor out) from the 4520 and plug it in directly to the PC when I want to use the PC. I am also going to order some new Monoprice cables... What is the dif with the Redmere cables? I need about 16' to run to the projector.

tia,
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Hi guys,
Ordered my 4520 yesterday from AC4L, in part thanks to the info I received lurking on this thread.
Can't wait to unpack and bombard you with stooopid questions (compared to most everyone here, I'm pretty much a noob in the field of audiophilistery, or whatever the old Greeks called it...)
I've been a fan of Denon since my old PMA-720 (still fulfilling its duty in the bedroom), and finally decided that I can't live without HDMI anymore, so the trusted 3803 will have to retire.

Questions right off the bat: will I be able to eliminate my bedroom electronics cluster by means of one long HDMI cable to my TV there? (and work the 4520 from there via WiFi with my iPhone / Denon-remote app?)

Yes, you will just need one HDMI from the 4520 to your TV, and do all you source switching via the remote / remote app.

Good afternoon. I will really need some advices for this issue. I have for around a month an AVR-4520CI receiver. After 2 weeks,

HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer

My Audyssey Values are:

Amp. Assign

Main pre-amps. Front

Speaker configuration

Front. Small
Center. Small
Subwoofer. 2 spkrs
Surround. Small
Surround back. Small
2 Speakers
Front Height. Small
Front Wide. Small

Speakers/ Distances

Unit. Feet
Step. 1 feet

Front L. 8.6ft
Front R. 8.7ft
Center. 9.7ft
Subwoofer 1. 10.2ft
Subwoofer 2. 8.3ft
Surround L. 6.5ft
Surround R. 7.0ft
Surround Back L. 5.3ft
Surround Back R. 5.5ft
Front Height L. 10.9ft
Front Height R. 11.0ft
Front Wide L. 10.9ft
Front Wide R. 11.1ft

Speaker/Test tones

Front L. -6.5db
Front Height L. 0.0db
Center. -6.5db
Front Height R. -0.5db
Front R. -5.0db
Front Wide R. -3.0db
Surround R. +0.5db
Surround Back R. +1.0db
Surround Back L. +1.0db
Surround L. -1.0db
Front Wide L. -3.0db
Subwoofer 1 -5.5db
Subwoofer 2. -4.0db
Subwoofer 1+2. Down/Up

Speakers Crossovers

Front. 110hz
Front Height. 40hz
Front Wide. 40hz

Speakers/Bass

Subwoofer Mode. LFE
LPF for LFE. 120hz

Speakers Impedance

Impedance. 8ohms

I am really VERY HAPPY with the system performance but I need to solve this issue if possible.
Carlos
Welcome Carlos!

The first thing Denon support had me do was to switch HDMI cables, preferably as short as I could manage. Give this a try. You might also try turning components on in a different order to see if you are having the HDMI handshake issue. Good luck!

Well I thought it was fixed... I replaced 2 HDMI cables and it was working bu now it is having a problem with the PC again. I believe the problem is the older HDMI that the Epson has as the Samsung has no problems at all with the 4520. For the time being I will just unplug the HDMI (monitor out) from the 4520 and plug it in directly to the PC when I want to use the PC. I am also going to order some new Monoprice cables... What is the dif with the Redmere cables? I need about 16' to run to the projector.

tia,
Ron
Ron,

As I understand it, the Redmere cables amplify the signal much the same way a signal booster would. I believe this is why it is important to make sure you install them correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Hi guys,

Hello,
Congrats on the 4520. I love mine. I use Ethernet as opposed to WiFi everywhere possible. The 4520CI having a 4 port switch makes it that much easier.

There might be some issues depending on how long the HDMI Cable is. I do believe they make amplifiers for long runs of HDMI.
Best,
J

HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer

My Audyssey Values are:

Amp. Assign

Main pre-amps. Front

Speaker configuration

Front. Small
Center. Small
Subwoofer. 2 spkrs
Surround. Small
Surround back. Small
2 Speakers
Front Height. Small
Front Wide. Small

Speakers/ Distances

Unit. Feet
Step. 1 feet

Front L. 8.6ft
Front R. 8.7ft
Center. 9.7ft
Subwoofer 1. 10.2ft
Subwoofer 2. 8.3ft
Surround L. 6.5ft
Surround R. 7.0ft
Surround Back L. 5.3ft
Surround Back R. 5.5ft
Front Height L. 10.9ft
Front Height R. 11.0ft
Front Wide L. 10.9ft
Front Wide R. 11.1ft

Speaker/Test tones

Front L. -6.5db
Front Height L. 0.0db
Center. -6.5db
Front Height R. -0.5db
Front R. -5.0db
Front Wide R. -3.0db
Surround R. +0.5db
Surround Back R. +1.0db
Surround Back L. +1.0db
Surround L. -1.0db
Front Wide L. -3.0db
Subwoofer 1 -5.5db
Subwoofer 2. -4.0db
Subwoofer 1+2. Down/Up

Speakers Crossovers

Front. 110hz
Front Height. 40hz
Front Wide. 40hz

Speakers/Bass

Subwoofer Mode. LFE
LPF for LFE. 120hz

Speakers Impedance

Impedance. 8ohms

Carlos
Carlos,
Is there any way possible you might have accidentally turned the dimmer setting all the way to off? Dimmer is under General in the Setup Menu and from there Front Display.
Cheers,
J

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
After a week of waiting for a response, I called Denon support again this morning. I was informed that they are now "escalating" it to a supervisor - I am curious as to why that was not done originally - and that they would be contacting me.

I must admit - I am normally pretty understanding about these things, but this one is starting to get under my skin a bit. Again, it is a great unit, but I am a little disappointed by the support side of things.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
After a week of waiting for a response, I called Denon support again this morning. I was informed that they are now "escalating" it to a supervisor - I am curious as to why that was not done originally - and that they would be contacting me.

I must admit - I am normally pretty understanding about these things, but this one is starting to get under my skin a bit. Again, it is a great unit, but I am a little disappointed by the support side of things.
Joe,
I cannot imagine how frustrating this must be. However, at least when I experienced the late Spring to July Onkyo TX-NR3007 HDMI Meltdown, once it was escalated things moved quite fast and I ended up being given an A-Stock TX-NR3008 to replace the TX-NR3007 that I literally spent 600 miles driving back and forth from a local Onkyo Service Center trying to get repaired.

While I now know who to talk to in Onkyoland, this is my first Denon since the AVR-4800 which was in the pre D&M and pre Bain Capital ownership days.
Best,
J

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey guys. long time no talk. Im in the market for a Denon 4520 or Marantz 8801. Im wondering what you guys opinions are. Im seeing some issues with reliability on the 4520 over at the AVS forums. Just wondering if any of you guys have had repairs or returns etc.. I read a couple posts on here about you few having issues. There arent any stating issues on the marantz thread.

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
hey guys. long time no talk. Im in the market for a Denon 4520 or Marantz 8801. Im wondering what you guys opinions are. Im seeing some issues with reliability on the 4520 over at the AVS forums. Just wondering if any of you guys have had repairs or returns etc.. I read a couple posts on here about you few having issues. There arent any stating issues on the marantz thread.

thanks
Hello,
As you know they are very similar beasts. As for issues, I believe Joe (ALMFamily) has been the only person who has experienced any issues with a 4520 to the best of my knowledge.

I realize we are a much smaller sampling comparative to AVS, but I do think on the whole it has been so far so good. I suppose I should point out as I did a few posts back that I initially purchased a B-Stock AVR-4520CI from AC4L that I ended up sending to my father after programming the RC with macros and renamed all of his components and the like.

While I sent him an Email with a link to AC4L, he for reasons I am still not completely aware of ended up purchasing the one he sent me from Amazon and is an A-Stock. My father has had no issues and neither did I in the 3 or 4 weeks I had it prior to him.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thanks.

It could have been my ears, but it seemed the denon did something different but better with my subs. I'm still debating on both units.
From everything I have read, the Audyssey implementation is identical. This of course applies to Audyssey's fantastic SubEQ HT which is bundled with XT32 on the 4520/8801. While SubEQ HT is only applicable to those using dual subwoofers, you are using dual subwoofers.

SubEQ HT made is tremendous difference for me as I am using a Martin Logan Descent i and Martin Logan Depth. While both use the same triple woofer configuration, the Descent i uses 10 inch woofers and the Depth uses 8 inch woofers. Since using SubEQ beginning with an Ounkyo TX-NR3008, the integration of the subwoofers has been absolutely fantastic. Not that it was bad when using XT and only applying filtering to the Descent, but this is in an entirely different league.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From everything I have read, the Audyssey implementation is identical. This of course applies to Audyssey's fantastic SubEQ HT which is bundled with XT32 on the 4520/8801. While SubEQ HT is only applicable to those using dual subwoofers, you are using dual subwoofers.

SubEQ HT made is tremendous difference for me as I am using a Martin Logan Descent i and Martin Logan Depth. While both use the same triple woofer configuration, the Descent i uses 10 inch woofers and the Depth uses 8 inch woofers. Since using SubEQ beginning with an Ounkyo TX-NR3008, the integration of the subwoofers has been absolutely fantastic. Not that it was bad when using XT and only applying filtering to the Descent, but this is in an entirely different league.
I find myself bumping my subs up more after audyssey. To me there are just nonexistent. Mine were cut at -9 and -8db.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I find myself bumping my subs up more after audyssey. To me there are just nonexistent. Mine were cut at -9 and -8db.
I do too. While it seems controversial, I have always brought out my SPL Meter after running MultEQ beginning with my TX-SR805. I set all of my loudspeakers to 75db's and subwoofer to 80db's.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I do too. While it seems controversial, I have always brought out my SPL Meter after running MultEQ beginning with my TX-SR805. I set all of my loudspeakers to 75db's and subwoofer to 80db's.
Jack, I do not think it is controversial at all, sorry but my only use for Audyssey would be the Sub EQ, and even that is suspicious, I do not want to ruffle feathers here, I have yet to be satisfied with the altered FR of my speakers after calibration, I guess I have no broken room problems for Audyssey to fix:D
Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Jack, I do not think it is controversial at all, sorry but my only use for Audyssey would be the Sub EQ, and even that is suspicious, I do not want to ruffle feathers here, I have yet to be satisfied with the altered FR of my speakers after calibration, I guess I have no broken room problems for Audyssey to fix:D
Cheers
Jeff,
That is actually awesome that you have such an acoustically sound room. SubEQ HT was just the absolute perfect application considering I am using 2 different subwoofers and the thrust of my enthusiasm for Audyssey is the effect on the Subwoofer. This sentiment was the same when I was using a single subwoofer and many do believe that where RoomEQ in general provides the most beneficial effect is with the Sub/LFE.

With the Denon, I actually have been switching back and forth between Bypassing FL/FR and full XT32. I wish that Onkyo offered this option. Apologies if the current Onkyos are now offering this.
Best,
J

141 - 160 of 234 Posts